Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 'Sand' Filter using glass - How Much?

1. Back To Top    #1

'Sand' Filter using glass - How Much?

Hi,
    I put in the required amount of glass media into my filter (details in sig). It said I could use less weigt measures (15%) because the glass media is lighter and so I have the required volume. I'm left with about 25cm (10 inches) of gap from the top of the media pile to the top of the filter. As my pressure is only 13 psi and my pump is powerful enough, could I add more filter media to get improved filtering or should I have a set gap at the top of the filter? Maye I have about an 5th of the filter volume as space.

Thanks
    (I might need to add more detail but not sure what data to provide)
    Intex Ultra Rectangular AGP 18*9*4
    Certikin hydroswim HPS .5hp pump
    Azur 15" Sand Filter (pentair)
    EGFM glass particles (10kg of 1-3mm and 25kg of .5 - 1mm)
    Calorex AW910 Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: 'Sand' Filter using glass - How Much?

The main problem with doing that is as the filter bed expands when you backwash and you may wash some of the filter media out.

3. Back To Top    #3

There's a set freeboard for each filter. You need to maintain that freeboard irregardless of the weight of the media. 10" sounds about right.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I opened up the filter after a weeks filtering (couple hours per day) and there's definitely activity in there!! It looked like white goo on top. This ties in with the cloudy pool I had when I shocked it. So I'll probably stick with the levels I have currently. Especially that when you move up the filter it starts to reduce the surface area of the bed and that cant be good.

Thanks for the advice and it looks like the glass is working. I dont see anyone else using it on this site which is a little disconcerting... but maybe it's too new.
    Intex Ultra Rectangular AGP 18*9*4
    Certikin hydroswim HPS .5hp pump
    Azur 15" Sand Filter (pentair)
    EGFM glass particles (10kg of 1-3mm and 25kg of .5 - 1mm)
    Calorex AW910 Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Langy3366
    I opened up the filter after a weeks filtering (couple hours per day) and there's definitely activity in there!! It looked like white goo on top. This ties in with the cloudy pool I had when I shocked it. So I'll probably stick with the levels I have currently. Especially that when you move up the filter it starts to reduce the surface area of the bed and that cant be good.
    The bed will draw the dirt in further as the pressure acting on it is constant, It's very important to bacwash gunk out of the filters if it's there as even dead algae etc is food for bacteria so if it's not there there is less to feed on.
    Thanks for the advice and it looks like the glass is working. I dont see anyone else using it on this site which is a little disconcerting... but maybe it's too new.
    There are people using glass, me for instance (Drydens AFM) glass has been around for some time but poor production methods in the past have produced a potentially dangerous product. New techniques have made this much better and safer. I know the MD of the company that makes your product EGFM. My AFM is re-treated to enhance it's negative charge so increasing it's performance allegedly. Whereas EGFM has only the normal filter properties allegedly.