Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this a do it yourself job?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this a do it yourself job?

I was told I need a seal replaced between the motor and the basket assembly. Is it worth it to try and replace it myself or just have a professional do it?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this a do it yourself job?

I would definitely do this myself. Are you talking about the shaft seal between the motor and pump end, or the gasket between the strainer basket and the pump? Both are very easy repairs that can be done with some basic hand tools and an hour or less of your time. Check the owners manual for your pump, some have instructions on how to do this, and there are also some threads on this forum about this. Good Luck!
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Here's how I look at stuff like this: Give it a shot; if you are unable to get it done, you're pretty much in the same boat you were in when you started. If you are able to do it, then you just saved a good chunk of money. Pumps are pretty basic, and if you pay attention and take your time, there really isn't any reason why you can't do it.

Go for it Let us know how it turned out!

4. Back To Top    #4

The only question I have would it be the gasket or the seal with the ceramic seat. It leaks around the seal plate and the motor. Also would these seals and gaskets be avail. at the local pool stores or must it be ordered online?

One more question could this do damage to the motor if I did not replace it right away, I mean if it needs to be ordered could it wait a week or two?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

5. Back To Top    #5

Could this be what I need? Also, here's a picture of where the corrosion is from the leak . Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

Pentair parts are pretty available. I'd take it apart and see what you can learn. Really shouldn't be too hard to get what you need quickly.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

do it yourself, very simple

8. Back To Top    #8

http://www.troublefreepool.com/penta...%20replacement

I have the same pump. This thread link above is exactly what you need. The seal is an AS1000. Here is one place to get it (I have NOT used them): http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.co...pump_seals.htm

I have not done this, but I will when I need to. I had these bookmarked for when the time comes.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do I need to buy the entire kit or just the pump seal?

10. Back To Top    #10

IMO...if you're going to have the pump open anyway, spend the extra few $'s and replace any accessible seals...I would go with the kit, but that's just my opinion.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/p ... ps-227.htm

shows all seals you might want. I'd certainly get a lid seal, diffuser o-ring, and motor seal.