Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Walmart bleach now 4%

1. Back To Top    #1

Walmart bleach now 4%

I went by Walmart to get some of their Great Value bleach and the chlorine concentration has changed from 6% to 4%.

Did anyone else notice that as well?
    16' x 34' Outdoor In-ground Vinyl kidney shaped pool 70,000 litres (18,000 gal); AquaRite TCell 15 SWG;
    290 sq ft roof mounted solar panels; Hayward H250 natural gas heater
    Hayward Super Pump - 2 speed (1.5 / .25 hp); Hayward Sand Filter;
    Hayward Pool Vac Ultra; 3 tier stone waterfall, rainbow LED pool lights, stair spa jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Walmart bleach now 4%

No I didn't notice. I think DH just bought some Saturday, will have to check.

Thanks for the heads up. Guess that will be more work for our Host Mr. Lion on the pool calculator.

Bet the price didn't go down either.
    AGP, POPUP, 3800GAL. SWG 2000 GPH pump. Over the wall skimmer. SE TX. NEWBIE

3. Back To Top    #3

We are not amused. I guess it's back to Clorox time. When Wally figures out peeps aren't buying it, it'll return to 6%.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think HD's 10% chlorine is still the cheapest. I bought 6 cases with which to shock and it cost $6.17 per case of 2 gals each. If buying less than 6 cases, it is $6.76 each plus sales tax. From what I could tell, their inventory is fairly fresh in the summer time.
    IG pebbletec pool: size of pool: 27,000 gal; filter: cartridge - Hayward Superstar Clear; pump size: 1.5 HP; TF 100 Test kit - got it on 7-29-10; The Pool Cleaner-4-wheel suction model; Pool calculator: http://www.poolcalculator.com/; bleach calc: http://troublefreepool.com/files/BleachCalc262.exe

5. Back To Top    #5

Just checked mine and it's 6% still...thanks for the heads up. That could kinda make a difference..
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the heads up!! I just checked my standing inventory and all my 3qt jugs are all 6%. I live in Northeast PA, I wonder if perhaps it's a regional supplier/distributor issue. Definitely worth everyone keeping an eye on it though.

Did you happen to notice if it was 4% across the board on all size jugs they offer?
    20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Maytronics Dolphin pool cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Pro Force at Sams is 6% and (4) 128 ounce gallons are $5.89 in Clarksville Indiana... and works great!
    Mike

22,000 gallons, cartridge filter, 1.5 hp hayward pump
    ag, vinyl

8. Back To Top    #8

Checked mine, still 6 percent. Will keep watching.

Do they put the percentage of milk we drink on the jug? I mean are they watering that down too?
    AGP, POPUP, 3800GAL. SWG 2000 GPH pump. Over the wall skimmer. SE TX. NEWBIE

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bunedockmama
    Checked mine, still 6 percent. Will keep watching.

Do they put the percentage of milk we drink on the jug? I mean are they watering that down too?
    Well, they do on 2% milk...
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

10. Back To Top    #10

Pool store LC at $3.60/gal. for 12.5% still wins around here. And no stinkin' jugs.(5gal. carboy)
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

11. Back To Top    #11

Still 6% down here in the Lone Star State.

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm in the same general area as 257WbyMag, but all the way across (actually down :P ) the big county; about 40 or 50 miles. Our Walley brand is still 6%, purchased less than a week ago. BTW.... I hate those glued on cap liners but the jugs are thinner plastic and easier to squash so less plastic that has to be recycled.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

13. Back To Top    #13

I get a 3 pk of chlorox 182 ounces for under 7.00 per box from Sams Club. I know chlorox works well so I stick with it. I have seen the off brands but I feel they did not work as well.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

14. Back To Top    #14

I'd suspected as much. At least they did put the change on the label. I do still wonder if they changed the label in time, I found the bleach to be weak some time back. Never tested it, and it could have been other things. Clorox was substantially better at the time.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.