Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newly appointed to keeping the pool running

1. Back To Top    #1

Newly appointed to keeping the pool running

Hi there,

I'm new at maintaining my own pool, since I got rid of the pool guy, and hoped to pick at some of the veterans brains for any upcoming, unforeseen dilemmas which I'm sure are bound to happen.

Here's to a learning experience.
    18K Gallon 14X32 Plaster IG Freeform
    Ecomatic ESC-24 (SWG)
    Hayward DE-4800 Vertical Grid D.E Filter
    WhisperFlo WFE-3 3/4 HP 85 GPM
    Solar Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newly appointed to keeping the pool running

Welcome to TFP.

Pool School will be helpful to you.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the TFP forum Roguesandman!!!

I joined this forum myself back in October (apparently!) but never really started paying attention to all the posts until the pool was finally completed around Memorial Day this year. At first I was hesitant that the responses I was getting were either from pool dealers trying to push their products on me, or worse - from other pool owners who THOUGHT they were experts but instead were giving me really bad advice. But I can tell you after just a few short months of being on this forum that NEITHER of those could be further from the truth!! The actual moderators of this forum give very sound advice, and even those who aren't moderators also chime in with as much info as they might know on a topic, but always defer to the "experts" when necessary. And as for those on this forum who are also in the pool industry....I have seen so far that they are all very professional and eager to help in any way they can - without - pushing their products or services on you.

If you commit yourself to reading everything this forum has to offer - especially the Pool School stuff, and more importantly, actually DO what they tell you to do, I assure you that you'll have a very Trouble Free Pool that your neighbors will envy.

Welcome again, and good luck with the pool.

Tim
    20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Maytronics Dolphin pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

JohnT and tim_pool_newbie,

Thanks for the responses and words of encouragement. I look forward to what everyone has to say and hopefully can return the favor to other noobies down the road.
    18K Gallon 14X32 Plaster IG Freeform
    Ecomatic ESC-24 (SWG)
    Hayward DE-4800 Vertical Grid D.E Filter
    WhisperFlo WFE-3 3/4 HP 85 GPM
    Solar Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

Just make sure you have yourself a good test kit!!! Good luck, it's easier than you think!
    Mona SE MN
    24' round 48" high AG
    Meteor Sand Filter
    1.5 HP pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mona
    Just make sure you have yourself a good test kit!!! Good luck, it's easier than you think!
    EXACTLY!

Without an accurate test kit, you're just guessing. And undoubtedly wasting chemicals and not getting things balanced. Just save the trip to the pool store and order the right kit online. Spring for the speedstir, too. It will seem like a lot of money at first, but it's probably less than the pool service charged you, and you'll save more than that in useless chemicals.

Become a supporter and you can get a discount on the kit. Both expenses are well worth the money.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I had never owned a pool and relied on this site and my pool is awesome. The people on this site make it very easy and are very patience at any questions you may have.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits