To winterize or not

Jun 14, 2010
Piedmont of NC
This is our first winter with the new pool. Right now we're running it 24/7, but I was going to set a timer to run maybe 4-6 hours twice a day during the colder temps. I'm wondering if it is possible to leave it open all winter or is this not advisable for fear of freezing. The pool is installed semi inground, but all the plumbing is exposed above ground. Is keeping it open all winter even feasible? Thanks, Marc

I know of pool owners in central and eastern North Carolina that keep their pools open, but I believe you are in a colder part of the state. This link shows maps of normal daily minimum temperatures for each month in North Carolina. I'm assuming that the "foothills" region you are referring to is in the western part of the state where it looks like January and February are the coldest months with temperatures below freezing in the 20-25 and 25-30 range depending on where you live. These are average minimums so particular nights could be far colder. I'm going to guess that it would be difficult to keep it open through the coldest part of the winter, but the best way to know for sure is to talk to others in the same area to see what they do. The day temperatures (see this link) are generally above freezing so technically if you ran the circulation pump at night you would probably prevent freezing, but if the power went out for any reason (and winter storms sometimes knock out power) and it was a particularly cold night, you'd be in real trouble.

chem geek said:
I know of pool owners in central and eastern North Carolina that keep their pools open, but I believe you are in a colder part of the state. This link shows maps of normal daily minimum temperatures for each month in North Carolina. I'm assuming that the "foothills" region you are referring to is in the western part of the state where it looks like January and February are the coldest months with temperatures below freezing in the 20-25 and 25-30 range depending on where you live. These are averages so particular days (nights) could be far colder. I'm going to guess that it would be difficult to keep it open through the coldest part of the winter, but the best way to know for sure is to talk to others in the same area to see what they do. The day temperatures (see this link) are generally above freezing so technically if you ran the circulation pump at night you would probably prevent freezing, but if the power went out for any reason (and winter storms sometimes knock out power) and it was a particularly cold night, you'd be in real trouble.

Thank you for that answer and the link! Everything you said makes perfect sense. We do lose power often during ice storms, thankfully I lived at the hurricane riddled coast and kept my generator for such an occasion! :mrgreen: Most AG owners that I personally know do drain and winterize, then again I have IG owner friends at the coast that recommended leaving it open. That's where my concern came in with freezing plumbing, since it unfortunately is exposed. May be time to build a shed for the equipment and plumb it below grade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.