Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To winterize or not

1. Back To Top    #1

To winterize or not

This is our first winter with the new pool. Right now we're running it 24/7, but I was going to set a timer to run maybe 4-6 hours twice a day during the colder temps. I'm wondering if it is possible to leave it open all winter or is this not advisable for fear of freezing. The pool is installed semi inground, but all the plumbing is exposed above ground. Is keeping it open all winter even feasible? Thanks, Marc
    10,000 Gallon 12x26 EZ Panel, Vinyl Liner, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Power Flo LX Pump (70 GPM), SM2300T Hayward Sand Filter, BBB Method....nuff said!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To winterize or not

It depends almost entirely on where you live.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

North Carolina foothills
    10,000 Gallon 12x26 EZ Panel, Vinyl Liner, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Power Flo LX Pump (70 GPM), SM2300T Hayward Sand Filter, BBB Method....nuff said!

4. Back To Top    #4

I know of pool owners in central and eastern North Carolina that keep their pools open, but I believe you are in a colder part of the state. This link shows maps of normal daily minimum temperatures for each month in North Carolina. I'm assuming that the "foothills" region you are referring to is in the western part of the state where it looks like January and February are the coldest months with temperatures below freezing in the 20-25 and 25-30 range depending on where you live. These are average minimums so particular nights could be far colder. I'm going to guess that it would be difficult to keep it open through the coldest part of the winter, but the best way to know for sure is to talk to others in the same area to see what they do. The day temperatures (see this link) are generally above freezing so technically if you ran the circulation pump at night you would probably prevent freezing, but if the power went out for any reason (and winter storms sometimes knock out power) and it was a particularly cold night, you'd be in real trouble.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    I know of pool owners in central and eastern North Carolina that keep their pools open, but I believe you are in a colder part of the state. This link shows maps of normal daily minimum temperatures for each month in North Carolina. I'm assuming that the "foothills" region you are referring to is in the western part of the state where it looks like January and February are the coldest months with temperatures below freezing in the 20-25 and 25-30 range depending on where you live. These are averages so particular days (nights) could be far colder. I'm going to guess that it would be difficult to keep it open through the coldest part of the winter, but the best way to know for sure is to talk to others in the same area to see what they do. The day temperatures (see this link) are generally above freezing so technically if you ran the circulation pump at night you would probably prevent freezing, but if the power went out for any reason (and winter storms sometimes knock out power) and it was a particularly cold night, you'd be in real trouble.
    Thank you for that answer and the link! Everything you said makes perfect sense. We do lose power often during ice storms, thankfully I lived at the hurricane riddled coast and kept my generator for such an occasion! Most AG owners that I personally know do drain and winterize, then again I have IG owner friends at the coast that recommended leaving it open. That's where my concern came in with freezing plumbing, since it unfortunately is exposed. May be time to build a shed for the equipment and plumb it below grade.

6. Back To Top    #6

To winterize or not

My sister lives in Myrtle Beach and they lost power for a couple hours one night last winter. The pipes for her ABG froze & busted. Of course last fall was extremely cold for the carolinas.
    Intex 16ftx32ftx52in rectangular / Hayward 2 speed pump / Hayward 21in sand filter / Intex SWG / still saying solar panels coming next year