Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake Palm Trees

1. Back To Top    #1

Fake Palm Trees

Anyone got one?

Tons of companies out there selling them. Seems like they range from $500-$5000.

Wondering who's got some really realistic ones.
    Hydraulically mundane 20x40 rectangular polymer (~30K gal.), IntelliFlo VS+SVRS pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWCG, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, LED light, 2xDeck Jets, SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fake Palm Trees

For that kind of money you could get a real nice sized living palm that if properly protected could handle your Ohio winter .
    I am in PA and have about 10 in the ground most of them for about 3 years or so now . Also if you are trying for the tropical look don't overlook banana plants . Some are also very cold hardy ...

I realize not everyone will be into the gardening/protecting thing and at one time I considered a plastic palm tree but, am thankful I did not go that route .

Some of my plants ...

Windmill Palm

Pindo Palm

Musa Basjoo

Here is a link to some pics of a guy I know in OH with some in ground palms ...

http://community.webshots.com/album/578459291kgjSak

If you really want plastic go for it but , I am glad I didn't !
    23,000 gallon vinyl in ground / Hayward Superpump / Hayward sand filter / Liquidator / Borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Those are some nice looking banana plants. What type are they?
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Musa Basjoo aka Japanese Fiber Banana ...
    23,000 gallon vinyl in ground / Hayward Superpump / Hayward sand filter / Liquidator / Borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Love those nanner plants too!

6. Back To Top    #6

May I also suggest that you can plant palms or other tropicals in containers. That allows you to bring them in for the winter if needs be, allows you to move them around the yard, and allows you to control their size.

Many of them grow very quickly, so you can order small plants online for small$$ and grow them up. I bought several small manila palms (1 gal. pots) 2 months ago and they are already 3 ft. tall.
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm thinking 10 or 12' guys! So real ones in Ohio aren't going to cut it, and storing large ones isn't an option..

http://www.tropicalpalmtrees.com/
    http://www.custompalmtrees.com/outdoor.htm
    http://www.oasisillusions.com/artificia ... vmchk.html

Oasis seems to have the best looking "fake" ones, but they command a premium price over the others!
    Hydraulically mundane 20x40 rectangular polymer (~30K gal.), IntelliFlo VS+SVRS pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWCG, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, LED light, 2xDeck Jets, SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Try looking at these http://www.pacificlightsinc.com/ We got the hooter ones. Put in three, 2 12 ft and 1 10 ft in back yard last year and LOVE THEM!!! nice during the day and beautiful at night. We live in Minnesota and do nothing to them they have been in every thing from rainstorms to snowstorms. And look like the day they went in. Need to learn to add a picture

9. Back To Top    #9

Hey Tiki,

As another PA guy, what is involved with "winterizing" these to keep them? Also, where do you find them?

Thanks!
    25K gal vinyl inground, 1HP Hayward Pump, Hayward DE 4820 Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

My neighbor down the street went all out and had large metal palms installed. They are now all rusted - not a pretty sight
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

11. Back To Top    #11

A quick search on www.gardenweb.com shows that some people have grown needle palms and sabal palms in Cincinnati with some (albeit limited) success. It may be worth a try...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

go to pacificlights.com and look at the hooters palm trees we have 3, 2 12' - 1 10' they come lit with led lights on them , i put them together buy myself, but i'm a concrete cont. we live in minn. and they have survived 2 hard winters with no prop. we get nothing but complements . they are made for the hooters rest chain.

14. Back To Top    #14

Did you mean:

http://www.pacificlightsinc.com/

I've seen a bunch of the LED ones at commercial locations. Not sure about in my back yard
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

15. Back To Top    #15

I've researched the same topic and Windmill palms with a little winter prep will grow in OH. Do a google search on them. I haven't yet tried it, but I've purchased 2 that will reside at my new pool and am confident they will work. They cost about $15 each for a plant that is about 2 feet tall.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by tikifarmer
    For that kind of money you could get a real nice sized living palm that if properly protected could handle your Ohio winter .
    I am in PA and have about 10 in the ground most of them for about 3 years or so now . Also if you are trying for the tropical look don't overlook banana plants . Some are also very cold hardy ...

I realize not everyone will be into the gardening/protecting thing and at one time I considered a plastic palm tree but, am thankful I did not go that route .

Some of my plants ...

Windmill Palm

Pindo Palm

Musa Basjoo

Here is a link to some pics of a guy I know in OH with some in ground palms ...

http://community.webshots.com/album/578459291kgjSak

If you really want plastic go for it but , I am glad I didn't !

Tiki how old is that Windmill Palm. do you have to do anything to that or your other Palms in the winter? Do you wrap them or anything. I live in South Jersey and want to get some Palms near my pool. I already have a big Nanner plant that comes back every year.
    Thanks
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by tikifarmer

Windmill Palm

tiki, What is the "spike" plant next to the palm tree?
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

18. Back To Top    #18

Johnny , I don't know how old it is . It has only been in the ground for 1 year now but , I just pulled off the cover last weekend and it looks like it did the day I covered it back around Thanksgiving .
    I actually bought it in South Jersey . Triple Oaks in Franklinville (Delsea Dr.) talk to Joe . I think they just got or are about to get a new shipment ...

About protection , I have some wooden frames covered in either foam or plastic sheeting and then a string of rope lights around the trunk . They are on a plugin thermostat called a Thermocube that comes on at 35F and off at 45F . My low temp was -2.2F ...

Josh , I think that is a Cordyline . Someone threw it out at the community compost pile and I snagged it and planted it . It is not hardy here and I now have it in a pot although I left it out a bit too long last fall and it may now be dead .

19. Back To Top    #19

My daughter brought two Windmill Palms from GA this past Christmas. I'm getting ready to put them around my pool. There are quite a few in this area and seem to do very well in the winter. One guy down the street has two that are about 7 feet tall. He puts Christmas lights around the trunk in the winter time. From all that things I've read about Windmill Palms, they have a fir like material that helps protect and keep the trunk warm. However, if you have a very young tree, I think it would be a good idea to protect the trunk until it gets a little bigger.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Another very tropical looking item is Yucca - they look similar to the spikey plant, get quite large and I can attest are cold hardy. We have had them here in the Northern Red River Valley in my yard next to the grapevines around our Koi pond for 10 years. We regularly get down around 30 below in the winter.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast