Help for humming pump

Re: Flow Switch for Goldline SWG

Can someone help me please!
My northstar Hayward pump makes a humming
Noise and won't turn on and my breaker turns off like if there
Is a shortage, thanks a million in advance.

Welcome to TFP.

Your problem is not your flow switch. It's your pump. Without your pump running you can't have flow.

You need to find out why your pump isn't starting. You can start by turning off all power to the pump and removing the back cover and see if you can turn the shaft. If you can't then the impeller is likely clogged. If you cna turn it then it's likely the start switch or capacitor.

pump humming and tripping the breaker is usually the starting capacitor on the motor is shot. Turn power off to the pump and see if you can turn the shaft of the motor freely by hand. (assuming you have access). If you can, then it's probably the capacitor. If you can't, then your motor bearings are shot or something is jammed in your pump. The capacitor is located in to top bulge on the pump. It is serviceable if you know what you are doing, or you can have an electrician replace it. A suitable capacitor with the required specs can usually be found on Ebay, known as a 'starting capacitor'. You want to find one with the same capacitance value and rated voltage, and something with similar physical dimensions of course that can fit inside the motor cap.

dave mc

@isaac-1 thanks, I found one at Grainger for $12.00, thanks everyone, now the only issue I'm having is that for some reason the pump after I fill it and primes pefectly (thanks to you guys support) the pump (both pumps) loses water and I have to fill em up manually to prime it back again, any suggestions, once again thanks for for savings some money specially in this economy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.