Salt Water Pool - What Else is Needed?

Aug 24, 2010
Hey everyone, just started posting here so expect LOTS of questions.

Because of my skin issues we decided on a salt water pool. This is my current setup.

Hayward PS8 with remote and salt thingy, lol
swim_pure_cont_image.jpg

Do you suggest this automated thing for my PH?
sense_dispense_image.jpg

Also what's the best HEATER for pools? Thanks!

You need to give us some information about where you live, your pool size and type, what your utility rates are like, and how much sun the pool and surrounding area will get during your swim season to get any useful advice about a heater.

The "best" heater depends on how much heat you need, and how far outside the normal season you want to swim, whether you want to swim daily or just on the weekends, and many other factors.

IMO, solar is the way to go if you have an appropriate roof area or ground area for a rack. Virtually zero operating cost.

Even if you have solar, you may want another heat source. Gas heats more quickly than heat pumps, but tends to cost more to operate. Heat pumps are the tortoises and gas heaters are the hares.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

John gave you good advice :goodjob: Also, just wanted to make sure you know that a salt pool is a chlorine pool? You mentioned skin problems...those are usually caused by improper chemistry and not chlorine. You need a good test kit like the TF100 or Taylor K2006. You can read more about test kits as well as chlorination methods, including the use of Salt Water Generators (SWGs) in our pool school area.

JohnT said:
You need to give us some information about where you live, your pool size and type, what your utility rates are like, and how much sun the pool and surrounding area will get during your swim season to get any useful advice about a heater.

The "best" heater depends on how much heat you need, and how far outside the normal season you want to swim, whether you want to swim daily or just on the weekends, and many other factors.

IMO, solar is the way to go if you have an appropriate roof area or ground area for a rack. Virtually zero operating cost.

Even if you have solar, you may want another heat source. Gas heats more quickly than heat pumps, but tends to cost more to operate. Heat pumps are the tortoises and gas heaters are the hares.

I live in North Carolina (Raleigh Area) and I have this pool - http://www.legacyeditionpools.com/index ... tegoryid=1 size 18x37x29. I'm not worried about the utility cost really, never had any issues with it. Right now the entire home is less than $200 a month. The back yard gets sun all day, zero shade around the pool. =) Attached a file showing the location.

We want to swim daily, all year if possible, but we can't do that with gas heat as it runs $900 during December, Jan, Feb and March to heat the pool......

I can do solar, any recommended units, etc for my pool? I know ZERO about that. I don't have natural gas lines so I would have to get a gas tank, how large?

Attachments

• IMG_2533-1200.jpg
    IMG_2533-1200.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 145
Start out by checking these sites for solar info:

http://www.h2otsun.com/

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/sol ... /index.htm

It can be DIY if you want. Nothing too complex for the average person.

I live in Indiana and am very happy with my solar heat. I built a 12X24 Poolhouse/Cabana and installed my panels on top. I highly recommend that approach if it is in your budget/wishes. Here's a picture:
IMG_1071.jpg

We've found that even if the water is warm, once the air temperature drops into the 70's during the day we are done swimming. Too cool when you get out of the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.