Two Intex SWG on inground pool, plumbing ideas

Apr 15, 2010
Las Vegas
NWMNMom said:
I think we have someone here with a much larger IG pool who has serial plumbed two of the Intex units for their pool

I have one I connected to my Spa and modded to run 8 mins a day, anything more and it was WAY too much chlorine! I plan to move it to my pool slab along with a second one I got. Bought both on clearence from Walmart at the end of last season for a steal. (199 to 150 on red sticker clearance, then was in 50% off isle, then they went to 75% off everything with a red clearance tag for home and garden) So I paid around $38 :shock: :-D

I have a 20k gal. pool, I plan to pumb them in parallel. Why not serial? Well, its like batterys, You may connect them in serial to increase output potential (voltage) but at the same volume (GPM or amps) as comarped to a single unit. You may connect them in parallel to increase volume (Amp hours or GPM) but at the same voltage as one unit would be.....hmm this is getting tricky. howa bout this:
Serial= higher PSI/voltage
parallel= higher GPM/amps
The real world reason is simpler. Two units in parallel will divide the GPM between the two units soo the resistance (added head loss) isn't as bad going thru 2 cells as aposed to just one. And serial would be undesirable because the electrical process already happened in the first cell, now how effective could a second cell in serial be? It would be washed with fresh chlorine from cell 1 probaly not great. (thius is why suplemental chlorine dispensors are added AFTER SWG's) Also there would not be as much salt water available to convert as cell one already converted some already.

I welcome anyones input to this subject :-D

Another advantage to 2 is that the intex SWG will only run UP to 12 hrs. If you are SuperChlorinating to kill off alge as I am I could get 24 hrs of chlorine production with 2 units by setting them to run opposit shifts. I run my pump one turn per day (6 3/4 hrs) but I run it 24hrs/day when I'm SuperChlorinating.
Another member here had an idea of removing the cell from the base instead of rerouting plumbing to accomodate the base unit, I like that idea. having taken mine apart to mod in to run on my Spa for 8 mins/day I can see it would be easy to extend the cell wires.

I'll post some picks when I'm done.

The only significant difference between serial and parallel plumbing is the difference in total dynamic head (resistance to water flow). Chlorine production will be the same either way. None of the other effects would be significant, or even measurable.

Grape, It was fall of '09, i'm sorry i can't remeber the month, Also can't find my receipt but now is a good time to start visiting several Walmarts at least once a week each. I'm a clearance junkie! Here is what iv'e drawn from my own experience: They stock different stuff at diff. stores. They will run diff. clearance percentages from one another, when things go to 50% off they move quick, at 75% off I have seen an entire isle emptied in one day! ful in morn. empy by 6pm
Some stores can't move some things because of the clientel that go to that particular location, so stores will ship all of a specific product to another store. Or they will carry for example SWG's at one store(regular price, in season), and have plenty and not at all another store. So you really have to visit several. In the case of Target, an item can be clearance at one store for 25-50% off and a regular stock item at reg. price at another Target. And targets are not franchised!, they told me that the stores can and will have diff. prices on things and they will not price match their own stores.
In the case of my two SWG's a manager had to approve the mark down. The best price won't always ring up automatically, so make sure they gave it to you.

If you bring a store SKU for a item to Targets cust serv. desk they can print a stock check of several others stores for you quickly.

If you want to super-chlorinate why not run both units at the same time, or better yet use bleach? I have a single unit on a 24K pool and it runs 4-5 hours a day with CYA at 80. I thought of using two in parallel, but need 6-8 hours pump time to turn the pool, so the extra plumbing hassle wouldn't help me.
The power cord on the older units I have is ~50 feet, and I thought of using it to splice into and lengthen the cell power and flow sensor cords, but ended up just leaving it sit as is (with a 5' cord, I did make myself a 45' extension cord for use around the house.) If I want to clean/work on the unit I remove the hoses and un-plug it from the timer controlled outlet and put another one in its place, easy-peasy. No need to mount the control panel on the wall or work on the cell/flow switch in the hot sun, I take the whole unit in the house.
With the new models that only make half as much chlorine, the two unit set-up makes more sense. If I can't find a replacement Intex cell, or get an Autopilot cell to work, I might have to look into that when my cells wear out.
Post some pics, we love to see how others set things up!
Good Luck, and Best wishes!

New2Me said:
If you want to super-chlorinate why not run both units at the same time, or better yet use bleach? I have a single unit on a 24K pool and it runs 4-5 hours a day with CYA at 80. I thought of using two in parallel, but need 6-8 hours pump time to turn the pool, so the extra plumbing hassle wouldn't help me.
The power cord on the older units I have is ~50 feet, and I thought of using it to splice into and lengthen the cell power and flow sensor cords, but ended up just leaving it sit as is (with a 5' cord, I did make myself a 45' extension cord for use around the house.) If I want to clean/work on the unit I remove the hoses and un-plug it from the timer controlled outlet and put another one in its place, easy-peasy. No need to mount the control panel on the wall or work on the cell/flow switch in the hot sun, I take the whole unit in the house.
With the new models that only make half as much chlorine, the two unit set-up makes more sense. If I can't find a replacement Intex cell, or get an Autopilot cell to work, I might have to look into that when my cells wear out.
Post some pics, we love to see how others set things up!
Good Luck, and Best wishes!

I like the idea of shortening the cord, mines really long too! I think I'm going to have to do that. I really like the idea of taking it inside to clean/inspect/work on it out of the heat. I have been guilty of not vac/brushing my pool hardly at all in the last 2 months because of out 100-110 deg. heat in the desert everyday :oops:
I'll def. post here as soon as the conversion is complete.

Side note, got to love Sam's club, Morton(salt maker for water softeners) pool salt in the white bag ( 40lb.) sells for 5.88 :whoot: and mine on Tropicana said the code on the signs says its not a seasonal item, they stock it year round! SCORE! Iv'e seen that same salt for up to $10 a bag at other stores

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.