Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muratic Acid harms heaters?

1. Back To Top    #1

Muratic Acid harms heaters?

New hot tub was just delivered on Saturday. After a GREAT summer using the TFP method on my pool (after 5 frustrating years of not knowing about this site), I am certainly planning on using BBB on the hot tub as well. My question is, the hot tub installer said that he has seen too many people report heater failure after using Muriatic Acid instead of dry acid for lowering pH. While I find this hard to believe, I don't want to take any chances either. I can certainly understand how too much MA can damage components, and that a hot tub will require very small doses, so perhaps some people have overdosed their hot tub on MA, but are there any thoughts or personal experience from anyone before I give it a try? Thanks!
    15,000 gal inground vinyl pool, cartridge filter, heater, automatic cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muratic Acid harms heaters?

It's low pH that causes the damage, and dry acid can cause that just as easily as MA. I'm guessing that MA is just easier to overdose than dry acid.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup, I agree. There shouldn't be any difference unless there is overdosing. As with all concentrated chemicals that could cause harm, such as chlorine or acid, it should be added slowly over a return flow with the pump running. Don't add it into a skimmer, especially not for acid.

To prevent accidental overdosing, one can add the acid to a bucket of spa water to make sure one doesn't spill too much in and then pour the bucket (after mixing its contents) into the spa with the pump running.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I assumed this was the case, it's good to hear it from the experts. I'm looking forward to my TFHT (Trouble Free Hot Tub) to go with my TFP.
    15,000 gal inground vinyl pool, cartridge filter, heater, automatic cover