Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ladder Gap

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Ladder Gap

Hi all! I have a customer whose ladder feet have become (or maybe always were) about 4 inches away from the wall. The ladder still functions appropriately however it is a commercial pool and they are worried about a possible pinch hazard. I am looking for solution that does not involve concrete work. Any help is appreciated!!

ASP Pool and Spa of Asheville

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Ladder Gap

Holy Benoli!!! How is that ladder anchored into the decking? It must not be removable.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It's almost as if there are two missing anchor pieces that should be attached to the pool wall Does the ladder look bent?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

If those are holes in the wall, I'd have a stainless steel box made with tubes to fit in the holes and collars to fit over the ladder legs to fit in there. Some good measurements and a good sheet metal shop should be able to fix you right up.

You could also remove the ladder and have a section cut out of the top rails and welded back.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Cheap Fix. See if you can find a wooden dowel (like a closet rod, but that's a little too small, I think) that will insert reasonably well into the bottom of the ladder. cut them to the correct length to act as stand-offs and then permanently mount them into the ladder rails with three round-head stainless screws on each leg. I'd probably paint them black.
    Dave S.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It is attached to the decking via those bolts that expand the wedge, so it is possible to remove the ladder. The wall itself is beat up from where the legs used to rub up against the wall, so maybe it is bent or just has a lot of flex. Not sure about the metal fabricating part, that seems a little pricey since its not something I can do I like the wooden dowel idea alot however, maybe some sort of plastic instead so it does not degrade over time. Thanks for all the suggestions!! I will let you all know which way i go and take another pic
    ASP Pool and Spa of Asheville

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

maybe some sort of plastic instead
    I thought about that but I don't think plastic (like PVC pipe) will hold the screws.

Wood placed underwater will not rot for years and years.
    Dave S.