I got my Taylor k-2006 test kit yesterday. I've been fighting with algae since we bought the house in December. It's mostly clear now--until I brush the sides and bottom and then it's cloudy (but as of yesterday, still clear enough to see the main drain even after brushing, which is promising).
First test results:
Cya: 40 (last week the pool store said it was 140 and the week before they said it was 100, so I drained a couple of feet of water to bring it down. I stopped using the pucks 1 1/2 weeks ago).
CH: 370ish (I was previously using cal-hypo, but have been using 6% bleach for 1 1/2 weeks.¬*I have not tested my tap water, but I'm assuming it's got some calcium in it)
So, I added 196 oz of 6% bleach to get to shock level of 15.5 FC.¬* I vacuumed (actually ended up adding some water from the leaf bagger) and scrubbed the sides and floor.¬* I tested again after an hour (re-tested the CYA and got similar results--40) and the FC was 17, which is higher than it should have been based on my calculations.¬* That was at sunset while it was overcast.
This morning before the sun was up (also overcast) I tested and got 18 FC (36 drops).¬* I thought I must have done it wrong, so I re-did it at the other level.¬* I got to 90 drops and assumed that I had messed it up because it started to look clear (I don't remember when it became clear-ish) but it never looked "colorless," it was still tinged pink.¬*¬*So I started over.¬* The third time, I got to 85 drops and it was STILL pink tinged.¬* I gave up because I was now late for work and it's really a moot point if it's higher the next day.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, any ideas?
Also, why would the FC be HIGHER than anticipated?¬* Is it likely that I've incorrectly estimated my volume?
I just want to go swimming in my pool