hairline cracks in concrete

Aug 17, 2009
Curious if and what I need to do with some hairline cracks on my pool deck concrete. I live in southern CA so freeze issues are almost non existent but do I need to do anything to prevent them from getting bigger.

There are many reasons concrete can crack.

Eventually, nearly all concrete will crack. We really don't have enough information. It could be from the environment, earth movements, poor prep, poor cure, poor mix lack of expansion joints, or a combination.

Scott

Concrete expands and contracts with temperature. Expansion joints, either plastic, felt, or saw cut are used by masons as stops to halt a crack's progress.

Reducing the frequency is what the mason is paid for. His skills in recognizing what each pour needs in prep, materials used and how much of what additives are what command the $$s.

Scott

All concrete cracks eventually. Doesn't mean it's going to break apart - there's steel mesh and/or rebar inside. Usually it's caused by ground settling. There are crack fillers sold at Lowes and the like. Frankly, they look like hit. The color stands out, and of course the stuff's too thick to flow deep in the crack where you could smooth it out. It ends up looking like the street after the city puts tar on the cracks in it.

Hairline cracks, I'd leave alone. If your expansion joints are crumbling, do something about that, because that's where water gets beneath the concrete. Sometimes it's redwood bender board that has rotted over the years, sometimes it's that plastic Crud that gets brittle with sunlight and breaks up. There are some nice caulk-like products that you can use to seal those areas up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.