Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hairline cracks in concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

hairline cracks in concrete

Curious if and what I need to do with some hairline cracks on my pool deck concrete. I live in southern CA so freeze issues are almost non existent but do I need to do anything to prevent them from getting bigger.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hairline cracks in concrete

There are many reasons concrete can crack.

Eventually, nearly all concrete will crack. We really don't have enough information. It could be from the environment, earth movements, poor prep, poor cure, poor mix lack of expansion joints, or a combination.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!

Do I need to worry or is there something I can do to keep it from expanding.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

4. Back To Top    #4

Concrete expands and contracts with temperature. Expansion joints, either plastic, felt, or saw cut are used by masons as stops to halt a crack's progress.

Reducing the frequency is what the mason is paid for. His skills in recognizing what each pour needs in prep, materials used and how much of what additives are what command the $$s.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! My question is now that I have a couple hair line cracks is there anything I can do to prevent the cracks from growing, etc.?

6. Back To Top    #6

Without seeing the environment or soil conditions, I can't tell.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

7. Back To Top    #7

What specifically do you need to make an evaluation?

8. Back To Top    #8

Not for nothing, but I would suggest that you keep the area around the pool adequately watered, from a stay-at-home-mom, just sayin'.
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2

9. Back To Top    #9

Drainage, soil conditions, construction, and age are the primary things I look at.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

10. Back To Top    #10

All concrete cracks eventually. Doesn't mean it's going to break apart - there's steel mesh and/or rebar inside. Usually it's caused by ground settling. There are crack fillers sold at Lowes and the like. Frankly, they look like hit. The color stands out, and of course the stuff's too thick to flow deep in the crack where you could smooth it out. It ends up looking like the street after the city puts tar on the cracks in it.

Hairline cracks, I'd leave alone. If your expansion joints are crumbling, do something about that, because that's where water gets beneath the concrete. Sometimes it's redwood bender board that has rotted over the years, sometimes it's that plastic **** that gets brittle with sunlight and breaks up. There are some nice caulk-like products that you can use to seal those areas up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!