Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electrical use of pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Spring, TX

Electrical use of pump

I see a lot of talk on here about running your pump a lot will cost a lot of money. I run my pump at least 12-14 hrs per day. It has not seemed to really do much to my electrical bill. I see a lot of people talk about running it a lot will really increase your electricity bill. The only reason maybe mine is not affected as much is I do have gas appliances such as hot water heater, dryer, stove and in the winter gas heater. I do pay a balanced budget each month, but I also see the actual cost of my bill as well. I am in texas, more precise Houston and we do have to use the AC a lot as it is hot here. My bill had been below 250.00, until the past few months when it has jumped up above 350.00. This is with two ac units and a 2700 square foot home and also running a small window unit 24/7. My pump is a one cycle pump 3/4 hp.

So why does everyone say running your pump 24/7 will really increase your light bill?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Electrical use of pump

It depends on where you live and what you pay for electricity. You show a 1 HP, 1.4 SF pump which probably uses around 1400 watts to run and at 12 hrs per day, that would be about 500 kwh per month. If you pay only $0.10 per kwh, that is only $50. However, in CA in tier 4, we pay $0.40 /kwh or for for your pump and run time would be $200 / month. So what people experience can vary wildly.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Electrical use of pump

The size of the pump is important as well. Someone with a 2 HP pump is using a lot more electricity than someone with a 3/4 HP pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School