why is my pH rising

macgas

Jul 29, 2010
Houston,TX
My pH seems to want to be around 7.8. I do not have SWG. Just doing the BBB.
todays result FC 4, CC 0, pH 7.8 TA 150, CH 360, CYA 70.

I added 1 gal of chlorine and 1q 2cups of MA. I added a similar amount of MA last week. Chlorine use is about 3q a day.

I do have a nice waterfall that we turn on while swimming, could that be increasing my pH? I have had the pool for about 3 months now but recently have seen an increase in pH.

You are on the right track...the aeration from the waterfall along with the high TA is causing the pH rise.

Lowering the TA down to 70 or so would help, but if the pH hangs at 7.8 withought going any higher I wouldn't worry about it.

Periodic acid addition with BBB is par for the course anyway.

I have the same problem. My test results are:
FC 6 (I keep it at 6)
CC 0
pH 7.6 to 7.8
TA 80 (was 120 and 100)
CH 340
CYA 40

I have been adding about 1 quart and 2 cups of MA everyday and 10% chlorine at about the same amount. I lose about 1.5 to 2ppm chlorine per day. I can understand why I have to add chlorine everyday but MA? Did someone say that lower TA will stabalize pH? Now that TA is lower, maybe ph will not keep going up everyday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.