keep water from turning green during a power failure

G

well it has not happend yet, oviously because i am talking to you guys, but it happens every time a good storm rolls through, and were getting to the month here were if it storms IT STORMS last time a storm rolled in at our old house we had no power for 6 days, if that happens here and my pool is not filtered what can i do to try and save it, i have a generator but i dont think it is poisable to power the pump with it enless there is a way to disconnect it from the house.

Re: save water during a power failure

Rollin Thunder said:
well it has not happend yet, oviously because i am talking to you guys, but it happens every time a good storm rolls through, and were getting to the month here were if it storms IT STORMS last time a storm rolled in at our old house we had no power for 6 days, if that happens here and my pool is not filtered what can i do to try and save it, i have a generator but i dont think it is poisable to power the pump with it enless there is a way to disconnect it from the house.

so baciilly i have two questions

can i power a filter pump easily with a generator, this is not a house generator but a little 5600 watt one

and if i cant do that is there a way to save the water or just let it turn green and correct it when the pump is up and running again.

It would probably be a hassle to hook up your pool pump (230v) to that generater. Doable, but a hassle.

A small submersible pump ($60) simply dropped into the pool and hooked to the generator would distribute the chlorine adequately to keep algae away. Use only liquid chlorine and apply it evenly around the pool perimeter and let the submersible do the rest.

Filtration isn't really important in that situation. Circulation is what you need, so you can add chlorine and keep it from damaging the liner. Even something as simple as paddling with canoe paddles could do the job. My "emergency plan" for my pool has been to use a farm transfer pump with a gasoline engine to circulate water while I chlorinate.

As to generator operation, a 1.5HP pump theoretically needs about 1100W to operate, but allowing for electrical inefficiency, you'd want to bump that up to around 1700W. I'd expect you'd need about 5500W to start your pump, then 1700W to run it. You might consider just running the booster pump off the generator to provide some level of circulation without a strain on the generator, but that's just an idea, since I don't know the specs of your generator.

Either way, you want to have some kind of wiring transfer prepared ahead of time. It could be as simple as a twist lock connector that can be removed from the house wiring and connected to the generator in the case of the booster pump.

Adding chlorine in small doses under such circumstances might also be a good idea.

Hmmm... we lost power during the 2004 hurricanes. 9 days for the first one and I think 5 days for the second. Keeping the pool clear was the least of our worries, but we did nothing (except use it to cool off a couple of times) and didn't have any problems. After Jeanne came through, we literally had a tree across the pool and the water still stayed good. That was when I was still on Baquacil, though. I think keeping a solar cover on would definitely help with keeping chlorine in the water.

<a>
IMG_2444.JPG
</a>

<a>
IMG_2445.JPG
</a>

<a>
IMG_2441.JPG
</a>

If not for the solar cover, our liner probably would have been toast.

my booster pump runs off a standard 3 prong outlet, never thought of that, but i only need circulation at this point i will try it with just the booster pump to see what kind of movement i get. my generator is 5600 and i have a second 3000 watt one so i could have the big one do the pump and freezer since they are both in the garage, and have the little one run my refridgerator and tv.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.