Options for slippery steps?

Aug 19, 2010
Nyack, NY
What options are available for slippery steps?....A friend of mine has his vinyl liner installed over his steel steps to create a more uniform look, but the flip side is that his steps are very slippery.

I am considering either a vinyl or fiberglass pool next year, and was wondering what options there are to give better grip for pool steps. Im so used to the sandy grip feel of a gunite pool I owned in my previous home..Im hoping there's some sort of options available.

Either vinyl or fiberglass should not be slippery. Slippery means something is growing on it even if you can't see it. A good regular brushing and keeping the FC at the proper level for your CYA will prevent it from being slippery.

My vinyl liner is squeaky when you rub your hand or feet over it. :)

All liner manufacturers have a "Textured" option for vinyl covered steps. Sometimes it's standard, sometimes you have to specify. I'm not entirely convinced that it prevents slips, but I'm sure it helps a little.

When they build your pool, ask them to install "Rotating Eyeballs" at the steps for increased circulation. That should help keep the algae at bay.

Good Luck

So if I understand this correctly, If you have steel steps, they have a different liner over it then the pool liner??....or do you mean, if you are getting steel steps in your pool, you should choose an entire pool vinyl liner that has a textured option?

No, your not understanding correctly; the liner is still one piece. The part of the liner that goes over the steps has a bit of texture on it. The rest of the liner is smooth. In fact, the part of the liner that goes over my steps is solid blue, while the rest of the liner has pattern on it. We could have gotten the steps with the same pattern on it. We just chose to have the steps all blue. Better contrast that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.