Analog pump timer

Since I've owned my pool, I've had to manually turn on and off the pump every day, which is really a pain, so I need to finally get this timer fixed. Here is a photo of it below, but I think I'm just missing the start and stop "pins" on the dial.

Could I fix this myself inexpensively, or would I need to just replace the whole timer?
Thanks.

pooltimer.jpg

Does the dial spin throughout the day? If so, I agree that you probably just need the trippers. Not sure what kind of timer that is though; it looks different than the ones with which I'm familiar. Hopefully one of the service folks will comment.

If the clock keeps time, you just need a set of timer dogs to select your on and off times.

You have a plastic shield missing to prevent you from making contact with the exposed wiring. I'd suggest a new timer, especially if you don't have the cover for yours. They aren't expensive.

Yes, the timer does spin

Are the dog trippers something that a local pool store would carry? Are they a one-size-fits-all type of thing?

There is a flip-up metal cover for covering the entire box, but nothing covering the wiring itself. I have some plexi that I could cut out for covering that part.

Once I get the dogs in place, do they simply push the switch on continue rotating clockwise, or does it start rotating back the other direction? There are no instructions (or model or brand name) with this time, so I'm just wondering how to work it after I get it fixed.

Thanks.

Uncle Ben said:
Once I get the dogs in place, do they simply push the switch on continue rotating clockwise, or does it start rotating back the other direction? There are no instructions (or model or brand name) with this time, so I'm just wondering how to work it after I get it fixed.

Thanks.

The clock continues to rotate. There are on and off dogs, and they flip the switch accordingly when the time is reached. Here is what they look like:
156T1978A-Intermatic-On-Off-Switch.jpg

Thanks so much. I'll go see if I can find these at the hardware store.

The reason I asked about the clock continuing to rotate in the same direction is that it seemed like the switch would stop it from continuing around in the same direction, but it seems like the placement just needs to be correct so that it catches enought to switch it, but not enough to stop rotation. (maybe I'm over-thinking this)

I just bought two digital timers this weekend for controlling my pool pump and gas heater in IP65 sealed boxes complete for $68 each, this way I can turn the gas heater off 10 minutes before the pump to let it cool and maintain a different schedule for weekends etc.

5b39c120-91a0-4b00-8415-1d421d753bab_400.jpg

Well worth the money especially considering the condition of your existing mechanical timer, it looks like a failure waiting to happen.

Ben,
The dial does constantly rotate - like a good clock should do. Underneath is a switch that operates sort of like a turnstyle. The trippers come by and engage the switch, causing it to rotate to the next 'click' position. On and Off positions have slightly different depths of 'teeth' on the switch, and because the OFF tripper is actually slightly longer than the ON tripper, it keeps the off position in sync with the off tripper, etc.
You get a couple of trippers from a pool supply, hardware store, or online, and you should be good to go for some time. Hehe - get it? I said "some TIME"... hehe. Anyone? Really? Aw come on... ;)

Ohm_Boy said:
You get a couple of trippers from a pool supply, hardware store, or online, and you should be good to go for some time. Hehe - get it? I said "some TIME"... hehe. Anyone? Really? Aw come on... ;)

:puker:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I picked up the timer "dogs" at Leslies, but they may be the wrong ones for my timer. I checked my pump a couple times during the duration that it should have been tripped on, but it was not on. The dogs stayed in place though. Could it be that the arrow (hour hand) on the time is positioned wrong, and it is turning on during a different time of day when I'm not there to check it?

The timer does not have a label or name brand, so I don't know how to check to make sure I get the right tabs/dogs that will work properly. I'd really like to fix the timer instead of buying a whole new one, especially since the dogs are less than $3

Thanks!

Thanks!
Last night I tried loosening the trippers, then sliding them around the timer wheel until they engaged (I looked down at the timer from above so I could see behind the wheel and could see what the trippers are supposed to engage) and I could see why they were not working since they could not catch without slipping off. I'll order these and see if those trippers do the trick.

Thanks!

4JawChuck said:
I just bought two digital timers this weekend for controlling my pool pump and gas heater in IP65 sealed boxes complete for $68 each, this way I can turn the gas heater off 10 minutes before the pump to let it cool and maintain a different schedule for weekends etc.

I'm just curious, if digital timers only run about $68, what's the average going rate on the mechanical timers? My PB just installed a mechanical timer, but I was curious why in this day and age they weren't using something more digital. My guess is someone will say the mechanical timers are just that much more reliable (given the elements they're in and all). But for $68, I would have preferred taking the chance on digital.

I know that with my Intermatics timer, when it trips to shut off at 9pm and I want to turn it all back on for some nighttime swimming, I actually have to wait 15 min or so before I can trip the switch again, or unscrew the dog. PITA!!

All I know is that if the pool digital timers are as bad as the one for LV landscape lights they make then I don't want one. It fried twice within one-year (first time within the warranty). I've been using the Intermatic mechanicals since about 1970, and never had a problem that couldn't be solved by a motor swap--including a lightning strike that knocked the electric service right off the poolhouse wall. A digital would have been complete toast. ($20 vs. $180)

As far as the post above, if I need to turn it back on, I just change the time by an hour to give me the space to add chemicals, then adjust it back the next day. (I don't really care if it is on when I'm swimming, but I need it at chem time.)

A mechanical timer has some pros... they're simple and robust. They have only a little synchronous motor to work, and they withstand all sorts of power fluctuations and spikes. Also some cons... they lose time when the power is out, they're not as intricately programmable as some digital ones, and if you need different timings for different days, you have to find a special model. They use mechanical contacts to switch power on and off which are generally quite robust. But mostly, they just sit unattended and work.

Digital ones are versatile by nature of their programmability, and I think most will use a battery to maintain programming and time if the power goes out. They are also more succeptable to power line irregularities, due to their semiconductor devices, and they do not tolerate water well. Also, you will find yourself trying to program it with a book in your hand.

My $0.02

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.