Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analog pump timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Analog pump timer

Since I've owned my pool, I've had to manually turn on and off the pump every day, which is really a pain, so I need to finally get this timer fixed. Here is a photo of it below, but I think I'm just missing the start and stop "pins" on the dial.

Could I fix this myself inexpensively, or would I need to just replace the whole timer?
    Thanks.

12,000 gallon IG (newly re-plastered) pool, Pentair 3/4hp pump, DE filter, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Analog pump timer

Does the dial spin throughout the day? If so, I agree that you probably just need the trippers. Not sure what kind of timer that is though; it looks different than the ones with which I'm familiar. Hopefully one of the service folks will comment.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

If the clock keeps time, you just need a set of timer dogs to select your on and off times.

You have a plastic shield missing to prevent you from making contact with the exposed wiring. I'd suggest a new timer, especially if you don't have the cover for yours. They aren't expensive.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, the timer does spin

Are the dog trippers something that a local pool store would carry? Are they a one-size-fits-all type of thing?

There is a flip-up metal cover for covering the entire box, but nothing covering the wiring itself. I have some plexi that I could cut out for covering that part.

Once I get the dogs in place, do they simply push the switch on continue rotating clockwise, or does it start rotating back the other direction? There are no instructions (or model or brand name) with this time, so I'm just wondering how to work it after I get it fixed.

Thanks.
    12,000 gallon IG (newly re-plastered) pool, Pentair 3/4hp pump, DE filter, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
    Once I get the dogs in place, do they simply push the switch on continue rotating clockwise, or does it start rotating back the other direction? There are no instructions (or model or brand name) with this time, so I'm just wondering how to work it after I get it fixed.

Thanks.
    The clock continues to rotate. There are on and off dogs, and they flip the switch accordingly when the time is reached. Here is what they look like:
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks so much. I'll go see if I can find these at the hardware store.

The reason I asked about the clock continuing to rotate in the same direction is that it seemed like the switch would stop it from continuing around in the same direction, but it seems like the placement just needs to be correct so that it catches enought to switch it, but not enough to stop rotation. (maybe I'm over-thinking this)

7. Back To Top    #7

I just bought two digital timers this weekend for controlling my pool pump and gas heater in IP65 sealed boxes complete for $68 each, this way I can turn the gas heater off 10 minutes before the pump to let it cool and maintain a different schedule for weekends etc.

Well worth the money especially considering the condition of your existing mechanical timer, it looks like a failure waiting to happen.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

8. Back To Top    #8

I've seen the trippers in my local Leslies.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

9. Back To Top    #9

Ben,
    The dial does constantly rotate - like a good clock should do. Underneath is a switch that operates sort of like a turnstyle. The trippers come by and engage the switch, causing it to rotate to the next 'click' position. On and Off positions have slightly different depths of 'teeth' on the switch, and because the OFF tripper is actually slightly longer than the ON tripper, it keeps the off position in sync with the off tripper, etc.
    You get a couple of trippers from a pool supply, hardware store, or online, and you should be good to go for some time. Hehe - get it? I said "some TIME"... hehe. Anyone? Really? Aw come on...
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    You get a couple of trippers from a pool supply, hardware store, or online, and you should be good to go for some time. Hehe - get it? I said "some TIME"... hehe. Anyone? Really? Aw come on...
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy

That's cold, John. Brutal, you are.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

12. Back To Top    #12

Got it. Thanks, I just couldn't figure out on my own how that could work. Love the dry humor

13. Back To Top    #13

I picked up the timer "dogs" at Leslies, but they may be the wrong ones for my timer. I checked my pump a couple times during the duration that it should have been tripped on, but it was not on. The dogs stayed in place though. Could it be that the arrow (hour hand) on the time is positioned wrong, and it is turning on during a different time of day when I'm not there to check it?

The timer does not have a label or name brand, so I don't know how to check to make sure I get the right tabs/dogs that will work properly. I'd really like to fix the timer instead of buying a whole new one, especially since the dogs are less than $3

Thanks!

14. Back To Top    #14

Hmmm... re-examining the photo... that looks like a Paragon timer. The trippers will be different than the Intermatics that are shown in the picture following.

I believe that is a Paragon model 4000. Trippers should look like this: http://www.frontierlighting.com/product ... ess=search

You may need to order them online.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks!
    Last night I tried loosening the trippers, then sliding them around the timer wheel until they engaged (I looked down at the timer from above so I could see behind the wheel and could see what the trippers are supposed to engage) and I could see why they were not working since they could not catch without slipping off. I'll order these and see if those trippers do the trick.

Thanks!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by 4JawChuck
    I just bought two digital timers this weekend for controlling my pool pump and gas heater in IP65 sealed boxes complete for $68 each, this way I can turn the gas heater off 10 minutes before the pump to let it cool and maintain a different schedule for weekends etc.

I'm just curious, if digital timers only run about $68, what's the average going rate on the mechanical timers? My PB just installed a mechanical timer, but I was curious why in this day and age they weren't using something more digital. My guess is someone will say the mechanical timers are just that much more reliable (given the elements they're in and all). But for $68, I would have preferred taking the chance on digital.

I know that with my Intermatics timer, when it trips to shut off at 9pm and I want to turn it all back on for some nighttime swimming, I actually have to wait 15 min or so before I can trip the switch again, or unscrew the dog. PITA!!
    20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Maytronics Dolphin pool cleaner

17. Back To Top    #17

All I know is that if the pool digital timers are as bad as the one for LV landscape lights they make then I don't want one. It fried twice within one-year (first time within the warranty). I've been using the Intermatic mechanicals since about 1970, and never had a problem that couldn't be solved by a motor swap--including a lightning strike that knocked the electric service right off the poolhouse wall. A digital would have been complete toast. ($20 vs. $180)

As far as the post above, if I need to turn it back on, I just change the time by an hour to give me the space to add chemicals, then adjust it back the next day. (I don't really care if it is on when I'm swimming, but I need it at chem time.)
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

18. Back To Top    #18

A mechanical timer has some pros... they're simple and robust. They have only a little synchronous motor to work, and they withstand all sorts of power fluctuations and spikes. Also some cons... they lose time when the power is out, they're not as intricately programmable as some digital ones, and if you need different timings for different days, you have to find a special model. They use mechanical contacts to switch power on and off which are generally quite robust. But mostly, they just sit unattended and work.

Digital ones are versatile by nature of their programmability, and I think most will use a battery to maintain programming and time if the power goes out. They are also more succeptable to power line irregularities, due to their semiconductor devices, and they do not tolerate water well. Also, you will find yourself trying to program it with a book in your hand.

My $0.02

19. Back To Top    #19

Good info...thanks!
    20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Maytronics Dolphin pool cleaner

20. Back To Top    #20

4Jaw- what's the name / website for that digital Timer ? Where is it available in Canada ? Canadian Tire ?
    20,000 gallon, Sand Filter, In-ground, vinyl, 1 HP Hayward Super II Pump, Natural Gas Heater, Aquarite Salt Chlorine Generator
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.MY-POOL.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast