Does my pump look big in this?

Aug 23, 2010
UK
Hi,
I'm new here so please be patient!!
After months of research and scouring ebay I have now a fully working Intex AGP with 15" sand filter and .5hp pump. My problem might not be a problem... but that's were I need help (I've kept away from gallons as you guys in the US have different ones to the UK!!!)

The intex pool holds 18,000 litres of water
I measured the pump yesterday by filling a 44 litre bucket. It took 20 seconds!!
Bottom line is it cycles my pool in around 2.5 hours (7.92 cubic metres per hour).
This is all well and good until I read that my filter should only be able to handle 4-5 cubic metres an hour. My system cycles almost 8.
I'm using EGFM glass particles (10kg of 1-3mm and 25kg of .5 - 1mm)

Langy3366 said:
Hi,
I'm new here so please be patient!!
After months of research and scouring ebay I have now a fully working Intex AGP with 15" sand filter and .5hp pump. My problem might not be a problem... but that's were I need help (I've kept away from gallons as you guys in the US have different ones to the UK!!!)

The intex pool holds 18,000 litres of water
I measured the pump yesterday by filling a 44 litre bucket. It took 20 seconds!!
Bottom line is it cycles my pool in around 2.5 hours (7.92 cubic metres per hour).
This is all well and good until I read that my filter should only be able to handle 4-5 cubic metres an hour. My system cycles almost 8.
I'm using EGFM glass particles (10kg of 1-3mm and 25kg of .5 - 1mm)

You are correct that you are probably trying to filter too fast so you don't get the best filtration (great for backwashing though). the filter and pump do need to be matched so slowing your pump down would be a good idea.

Thanks for the prompt replies. I checked over the contents of the filter I got off eBay and I might be missing an o ring off the lateral pipe. I'm guessing this would reduce the amount of water being forced down through the laterals (it's a top loader). Ordered another one today so will report back. I currently have the 1.5 inch flex pipe hanging over the edge of the pool tied there by rope (both in and out) as the intex sizing is different. I plan to connect the inlet up to the intex skimmer. It will provide a little mire work for the pump to suck so that should slow it all down a bit. Any other ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.