Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does my pump look big in this?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does my pump look big in this?

Hi,
    I'm new here so please be patient!!
    After months of research and scouring ebay I have now a fully working Intex AGP with 15" sand filter and .5hp pump. My problem might not be a problem... but that's were I need help (I've kept away from gallons as you guys in the US have different ones to the UK!!!)

The intex pool holds 18,000 litres of water
    I measured the pump yesterday by filling a 44 litre bucket. It took 20 seconds!!
    Bottom line is it cycles my pool in around 2.5 hours (7.92 cubic metres per hour).
    This is all well and good until I read that my filter should only be able to handle 4-5 cubic metres an hour. My system cycles almost 8.
    I'm using EGFM glass particles (10kg of 1-3mm and 25kg of .5 - 1mm)
    Intex Ultra Rectangular AGP 18*9*4
    Certikin hydroswim HPS .5hp pump
    Azur 15" Sand Filter (pentair)
    EGFM glass particles (10kg of 1-3mm and 25kg of .5 - 1mm)
    Calorex AW910 Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does my pump look big in this?

Seems about right for a 1/2 HP pump.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Langy3366
    Hi,
    I'm new here so please be patient!!
    After months of research and scouring ebay I have now a fully working Intex AGP with 15" sand filter and .5hp pump. My problem might not be a problem... but that's were I need help (I've kept away from gallons as you guys in the US have different ones to the UK!!!)

The intex pool holds 18,000 litres of water
    I measured the pump yesterday by filling a 44 litre bucket. It took 20 seconds!!
    Bottom line is it cycles my pool in around 2.5 hours (7.92 cubic metres per hour).
    This is all well and good until I read that my filter should only be able to handle 4-5 cubic metres an hour. My system cycles almost 8.
    I'm using EGFM glass particles (10kg of 1-3mm and 25kg of .5 - 1mm)
    You are correct that you are probably trying to filter too fast so you don't get the best filtration (great for backwashing though). the filter and pump do need to be matched so slowing your pump down would be a good idea.

4. Back To Top    #4

The roughly 30GPM and his glass filled filter are fine. Glass tends to offer a little less resistance. Backwashes should be done after about a 6 PSI rise rather than the 10 PSI most other sand and DE filters get.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the prompt replies. I checked over the contents of the filter I got off eBay and I might be missing an o ring off the lateral pipe. I'm guessing this would reduce the amount of water being forced down through the laterals (it's a top loader). Ordered another one today so will report back. I currently have the 1.5 inch flex pipe hanging over the edge of the pool tied there by rope (both in and out) as the intex sizing is different. I plan to connect the inlet up to the intex skimmer. It will provide a little mire work for the pump to suck so that should slow it all down a bit. Any other ideas?
    Intex Ultra Rectangular AGP 18*9*4
    Certikin hydroswim HPS .5hp pump
    Azur 15" Sand Filter (pentair)
    EGFM glass particles (10kg of 1-3mm and 25kg of .5 - 1mm)
    Calorex AW910 Heat Pump