Vinyl Liner vs. Buried ABG

Aug 18, 2010
Hi! I just found this forum a few weeks ago and have read just about all of it now, I think (can we say obcessed with getting a pool?) We have a 6yo and 7yo and we want to enjoy the time we have together. The kids love to swim and we love the idea of them bringing their friends to our house instead of us sending them out somewher all of the time :)

Gunite, fiberglass etc are probably going to have to be ruled our due to financial constraints. We got a ballpark figure from a couple of places. The vinyl liner pool people tols us around $23000-$25000 for a basic 18x36 setup. We talked to a Doughboy dealer who told us about $10,000 for a similarly sized pool. We would still need to build a deck at that price.

We are planning to have them and others come out to the house and give us actual quotes, but I have a few questions in the meantime. Basically, I am wondering if anyone can elaborate on the pros and cons of one over the other. Thanks! I am looking forward to your responses!
Tracey

We have a buried AGB and love it. It's a Forum brand and was installed late last summer. This summer we have use it a LOT. We had it buried with only about 2 ft above ground. We just had a deck built around it and a patio cover. I tried to upload photos, but it says they are invalid. ?? Hope this helps you with your decisions. Our pool and its buried installation cost a total of $7000.

Thank you for your input. I am glad to hear of an owner who is enjoying this type of pool. The more we hear about these buried AGP's the higher our hopes get that we could be enjoying our very own pool next spring.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on how to decide between these two types.
Thank you!
Tracey

We had a Ft Wayne vinyl inground pool installed in May of this year.18X36 rectangle. Love it. It took us over a year to decide between above ground and in ground. I am glad we had the inground installed. It looks great and is part of the landscape now. With the salt generator and Polaris 280 it is very easy to take care of. After studying pool school and reading this forum everyday, I have learned a lot about pools. I think with the above ground pool price and then the price to build a nice deck that I received, It started to be more than half of what I could put the inground pool for. With the knowledge of this forum, you will be happy with either pool you decide on. Kids and friends will enjoy. I was worried about cost of chemicals and electricity for pumps. That is not bad at all. The cost is in feeding these kids and friends after swimming.!!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.