A Couple Quick AutoPilot Question

kcjonz

Mar 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'm looking at getting an AutoPilot Digital w/ Dig 48 like this one

I'm wanting it to control my two speed pump. The owners/installation manual says "Connecting DIG-220 to Control a Two-Speed Pump (with optional pump relay installed)"

Question #1) Do I need to buy a pump relay or is it included?

It also says "Note: The pump is always powered and will run continuously on low speed when internal time clock program does not have the pump operating on high speed."

Question #2) From reading this the pump will run on low 24/7 and the AutoPilot will merely kick it to high when activated? Do I need a secondary controller to turn pump completely off?

The AutoPilot timer can be setup to switch the pump between two states, either on/off or high/low. If you want to be able to automatically select between three different states (off/low/high) you will need an external timer in addition.

The relay used to be included. Now it is optional and must be requested. AutoPilot says that it should not cost extra. I'm not sure how that works in practice.

The relay is no charge but must be requested at the time of ordering the DIG-220.
In order to turn the pump off completely, you will need to turn it off at the breaker, or add a separate switch (to manually turn it on/off) or time clock (to automatically turn it on/off).

Ok i have an Intermatic PE153 digital timer that was given to me that I have yet to install.

So I can hook it up then run the Autopilot off it an the pump Hi/Lo off of the AutoPilot.

This seems like a little overkill to me.

Currently I never run my pump on high unless vacuuming or backwashing. Could I get away without the Intermatic? Meaning if I had the AutoPilot set to control Low/Off, how would I kick the pump to High manually?

Now that I think about it more, I guess I would just uses the Intermatic timer instead of the relays in the AutoPilot.

The PE153 I have will control 3 things at a time (pump hi/lo & SWG) and has freeze protection.

How would you guys hook it up?

Any disadvantage to just having the AutoPilot basically unplugged and plugged back in by timer?

Using an external timer would I be better off with the Soft Touch?

Thanks in advance.

My favorite setup is to have the AutoPilot control when the pump is on or off and have a manual switch to control high vs. low speed. If you have the AutoPilot control the pump on/off you get prime protection, which you don't get with any of the other combinations.

The Digital has a couple of features that the Soft Touch doesn't, notably the alpha/numeric display. The Digital also has freeze protection.

It is totally fine to have a timer turn the AutoPilot and the pump both on/off together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.