motor repair advise needed Hayward powerflo sp1580Z2 1.5hp

Nutmeg

Aug 22, 2010
Conn.
Hello all. Need some help fixing a motor. I have a Hayward power flo lx sp1580z2 1.5hp pool filter motor. Breaker popped and the motor now only hums when turned on. Did a few searches to see if I could fix it. The shaft spins freely so I thought it was the capacitor. After taking it apart I see no capacitor. The ones I saw online were silver cans. There is a small connection board with contacts that looks fine. The only other thing in there is a Klixon CGJ133 small round plastic case with 3 wire connects and 2 wires going to it. From searching online I’m guessing it’s a thermostat that is not available anymore. Replaced with a M2 series. Again that’s from a little googling.
Is there a capacitor or anything else in that motor that could be bad or do you think it's the Klixon thermostat I should try changing?

Thank you
Jay

It should be a capacitor start motor. They will put the capacitor either in a hump on the side of motor or in back end. Here is a picture of both versions. However, the matrix should be in the back end of the motor. Can you take a picture of the back end without the cover?

DBfan187 said:
there's no capacitor on this motor, at least on the dozens I work on everyday. The replacement motors yes, but not on the original.

That's what I am seeing.

Is the Klixon component what I need to change?

Just wrote this prior to seeing last post.

Thanks for the fast reply Mark.
My version of the SP1580 motor is on the right in that picture. Very hard to find a picture of the actual pump and motor I have. I believe it’s the “Z2” on the end that makes mine a little diff. It’s not even listed in the manual from Hayward. Data plate on the unit “SP1580Z2”.
There was nothing under the black plastic rear cover. I removed the 4 long screws and tapped the back plate off. Attached to the plate is the board with contacts that all the wires go to and the small round Klixon component 2 wires go to. There is nothing else inside as far as electrical components. The other side does not look like it comes off. There’s a black plastic fan on the side the impeller is on.
Thanks again for the help Mark.
Jay

The label SP1580Z2 is for the pump itself not the motor. The motor should have a number like SPX1515Z2E.

Given both your comments the motor must be a simple split phase start. It should have a centrifugal switch in the back end and if that broke or the contacts are corroded, it could prevent the motor from starting. If not the switch and the shaft turns, then it is probably a winding problem which will require a new motor.

Hi there.

I'm not very good with electrical. Does anyone have a picture that might explain what I need to do to clean the contacts? My motor didn"t restart after I shut it down to do a backwash. It just humms without pumping. I checked the impeller and it is rotating fine,

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Posting a pump model# and/or motor# would help identify the type of motor you have. It might not have any contacts but it could have a capacitor.

mas985 said:
Posting a pump model# and/or motor# would help identify the type of motor you have. It might not have any contacts but it could have a capacitor.

But of course. I should have know better. Here it is Mark.

I have a Hayward Super II Pump
Motor Model # C48L2N13B4
It is a 1 HP Motor

Thanks in advance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It could be either the start capacitor, contacts or even a bad bearing. Does it make a lot of noise when it does run?

The contacts are probably the easiest to check. To clean the contacts, you have to remove the back end of the motor (after turning off power of course).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.