Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding borates to an indoor pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding borates to an indoor pool?

Is there any advantage / disadvantage with adding borates to an indoor pool that doesn't apply to an outdoor pool - ordor, cover issues, percipating out on the ground, etc. I finally have my CYA down to 25, the temp up to 84, and everything perfect but the CH - around 185 rather than 250. So I'm trying to decide if I should add borax for the last B of my BBB conversion.

Thanks!
    29,000 gallon, 18' x 44' Indoor plaster pool - 8'x'8 spa in corner. Well water, TF-100,
    pool cover, Pentair MasterTemp 400k btu heater, Jandy RS-4, 4 x 105 sq ft cartridge filters,
    Wisperflow WFE-4 1.0 HP pump for pool, WFE-6 1.5 HP pump for spa jets, MagnaSweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding borates to an indoor pool?

Borates will behave the same in an indoor pool as they would in an outdoor pool. They are not required by any means, but can be very nice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What were you wanting to add them for? pH stability, water feel, algaestatic properties?

4. Back To Top    #4

What were you wanting to add them for? pH stability, water feel, algaestatic properties?
    After reading the tome on "So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How", it seemed that it would make the water softer improving the "feel".

I'm not sure if it will help with my pH control. As I have an attached spa, the pH does tend to rise, so I'm adding muriatic acid every week (just added 12 oz today).

I just want to make sure I'm not going to make something worse and wind up draining water again.
    see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/need-...ya-t26113.html
    29,000 gallon, 18' x 44' Indoor plaster pool - 8'x'8 spa in corner. Well water, TF-100,
    pool cover, Pentair MasterTemp 400k btu heater, Jandy RS-4, 4 x 105 sq ft cartridge filters,
    Wisperflow WFE-4 1.0 HP pump for pool, WFE-6 1.5 HP pump for spa jets, MagnaSweep.

5. Back To Top    #5

About the worst that might happen is that you don't notice any difference. Most people like the improved "feel" of the water but some can't tell any difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

It will definitely make the water feel softer. That's what I noticed most after adding them.