Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG systems

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG systems

Just got pool up this year and very interested in SWG system. Would like pointers and tips what setup to use. do I oversize SWG. Would like to only run pump 6-8 Hrs. Thanks for all and any info.
    12,000 gal. 24' x48"AGP, hayward power-flo lx 1Hp. pump Hayward S244T 24" sand filter system.
    use BBB method and love it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG systems

The Hayward/Goldline Aqua-trol should do you well .. just depends on what model you choose.. It includes a pump timer that you can plug in your pump. The RJ--Return jet model goes into the return fitting and does not use a flow switch. Its the best bang for the buck. The cell is rated at 18k. I run mine at 45% for 8 hours a day with CYA of 60 and have normal FC of 5 to 6.
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Dolphin E10
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

3. Back To Top    #3

I recommend getting a unit that is designed for a pool that is about 2 or 2.5 times as large as what you actually have. You don't have to do this, a smaller unit will probably work, but the larger unit will be more flexible about pump run time and will last longer (and so pay back the initial up front cost).

If your pump has a cord that plugs in the Aqua Trol is a very good choice. However, if your pump is hardwired, you might want to look at in-ground units.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it good that it does not have flow switch? 12,000 gal. I should buy 25,000 - 30,000 gallon SWG? Do I want the SWG to have self cleaning cell mode? Also, is my 16" sand filter big enough to do a good job for pool size or should I upgrade to a bigger one? Mine needs about $110.00 of repair work anyway, should I upgrade to bigger tank and use same 1hp power flo pump setup? Thanks and please give me all the help and info you can. Just got pool and am kind of new to pool maintinance.Let all the good if on alternate chemicals. Kind of debating on SWG. Will it save my money in the long run.
    12,000 gal. 24' x48"AGP, hayward power-flo lx 1Hp. pump Hayward S244T 24" sand filter system.

5. Back To Top    #5

You can buy a model 56601 (2009 model) intex SWG $130-$150...it's no frills, but it works and I run mine for 3-4 hours per day...same size pool. The intex you may save some money, but regardless of which brand you get having a swg is really about convenience vs. saving money

You want a 250lb sand filter and the pump will be just fine.

I have the Hayward s220t and probably backwash 2-3 times per 4 month season...and that usually because the pool overflowed from rain and not that it got too dirty to restrict flow.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

You want a flow switch and you also want a self cleaning cell. Nearly all SWGs include both of those features.

A larger filter is always better, less backwashing and slightly more efficient.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

what does everyone think about the zeobest and zeobrite alternative for sand in the filter. Is it better to clean water? also will my 100lb. sand filter be fine for my 12,000 gallon pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

A 100lb sand filter is fairly undersized for a 24ft round pool. It will work if you keep on top of your chemistry, but will require frequent backwashing.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator