Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rope Light for AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Rope Light for AGP

I am new here and have been reading through the forums. I was unable to find a post for Rope Lights for pool. Instead of putting a spot light in my 18 ft pool, I would like to run rope light underneath the (not sure of it's actual name) white metal plate that goes around the top of the pool. I have found a site that sells it cheap enough for my interests, but unable to find a clip that hole it in place. I would like a clip that goes on the wall under the white metal plates, that way it's out of the way. Rope lights are water proof so that is not a concern. Anybody do something like this?
    Richard in Louisville

Gallons: 7,700
    Filter: Sand
    Above Ground Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rope Light for AGP

I like the idea. There may be some downside that others will advise, but if not then I like it. What comes to mind is wire clips for holding electrical wire glued on to the bottom of the Top Rails (the metal plate). Let us know how this turns out.
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds good to me! Red for Xmas? Twinkling?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Do NOT do it! It violates every electrical code issue regarding a swimming pool, and is completely unsafe for you, your family and friends. The electricity can transfer to the swimming pool and kill you! Don't kid yourself that these are "waterproof" and safe. Would you throw it in the pool, turn it on and go in? I don't think so.

Please, do not attempt this. It isn't even close to safe.

5. Back To Top    #5

We got our answer. Bruce knows what he is talking about, so if he says it's not safe, I believe him.
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

6. Back To Top    #6

Bruce is right. 120v lights that aren't specifically listed for pool use is not a good idea. However if you could find a few strings of 12v lights AND plug them into a listed for pool use transformer, that would be acceptable.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

So what your saying is that this is a bad idea. (I'm sure most of us have seen this but a shake my head every time I see it)
    Esther Williams 24', sunk about 36" into the ground.
    Jacuzzi Maxiplus 190 sand
    Sta-rite/aquatools 2 speed 1HP (JWP series)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by crewchief47
    So what your saying is that this is a bad idea. (I'm sure most of us have seen this but a shake my head every time I see it)
    .....I guess we all have to die from something....
    Thanks all for your amazingly helpful advice! Bo

18x33 Morada pool, 14,100 Gal - 2HP, 2SPD W/Skimmer and Caplet Basket, 125 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System – 8 Gal LQ - TF-100.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

God Bless America!