Stain from Chlorine Puck

bluenoise

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2007
Alamo, CA
When we first moved in to our house four years ago, I started using 3" chlorine tablets in a floater. While filling the floater, I accidentally dropped one of the pucks in the deep end. I figured it wouldn't hurt anything, but I fished it out a few days later after noticing it discolored the white plaster. Since then, there has been a yellowish stain about 18" in diameter down there and it has a 3" white circle in the center from where the puck sat. Is there anything that will remove that stain besides resurfacing?

Similarly, there are some dark yellow stains on the top step that I think may have been caused by the floater hovering over it in the 5" deep water. How might I clear that up?

I'm so glad I converted over to SWCG!

Blue, sounds to me like there was some metal in the water which oxidized. The cure for metal stains is ascorbic acid, you can test this by placing a vitamin C (pure) tablet on the stain and seeing if it gets removed. M-bar can tell you more, as can others - this is fairly inexpensive and not too hard to do. :handwave:

If it is a metal stain, we'll tell you how to deal with it.

Interesting. That should be easy for me to test as we have a big jar of those "pucker pills" and the pool is still very nice and warm. :)

How long does the tablet need to be in contact with the stain to show whether it's working or not?

There are some marks on the bottom of my pool which I'm told are from pucks. They were there when I bought the place and 7 years later and an acid wash and they are still there. No metals in my water.

The vitamin C tablets should work very quickly. If it does remove the stain, you can crush up a few tablets and put them in a sock, and rub the stain. After getting rid of the stain, you can put some sequestering agent in the water - something that says "metal remover". You can also use ph down in a sock to rub on the stain. Let me know if these don't work, and we cn try other things. :)

I haven't given this a try yet as I found that my vitamin C tablets are the flavored, chewable type. I will pick up some pure C when I am near the store again.

I looked at the puck stain again this morning. It's actually a gray color, though the mess on the top step is more brownish/orange.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.