Ok, I was doing so good - this is my first year of having a pool, and then I got algae.
So I went to the pool store and the lady there sold me 3 gallons of shock and I used them according to what I have learned here and what she told me.
It is now day 4 since I started adding shock and the pool is starting to look great again, just a few poofs of green when I brush the bottom. What I am worried about is my test results.
FC = 40 (yes I have a TF-100 kit and that is what I got)
PH = 7.4
TA = 110
CYA = 85 (this was 80 four days ago, 70 two weeks ago, and I have not added it since the beginning of the season)
Pool is an above ground - vinyl liner - 8600 gallons.
We have backwashed the pump 3 times in the past 3 days. We had to add water - about 6 inches yesterday - and it rained about 3 inches last night almost making the pool overflow.
So I am concerned about the FC reading. I don't think that is even swimmable is it? It doesn't smell strong. How long before it goes down?
Also the pool store lady said that my CYA was low and it should be between 100 - 130. Everything I have read here and in my test kit says 30-80. Who is correct? She has been doing this for 20+ years, and if she is wrong, I can't imagine how many people have bought a ton of chemicals to "fix" their water based on her advice. Please help!
Thanks in advance!