Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keep Nature 2 Chlorinating System if we use BBB?

1. Back To Top    #1

Keep Nature 2 Chlorinating System if we use BBB?

Our new 30' round (22,500 gallons) Radiant AG is just about full and we are almost ready to turn on the pump. I was reading through the Pool School and think I would like to
    1) purchase a quality test kit
    2) use BBB to balance the water

BUT... what do I do with the Nature 2 system? We have not installed the chlorine cartridge (good for one season for $100) that is supposed to allow us to keep our chlorine levels at .5ppm to 1.5 ppm instead of 1 -3. We also have not opened the chlorine tablets.

Can we just keep those compartments empty and use BBB (and other chemicals when needed) instead?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Keep Nature 2 Chlorinating System if we use BBB?

I think ,most would tell you to leave the nature 2 out (could off load it on craigslist). You could probably use the tablets for the remainder of season since you're in Illinois and will likely close before CYA would be an issue. Of course that depends on if the tablets you have are stabilized or not (I'm guessing they are). Unless you have a TON of tabs, then it may be worthwhile to unload those as well and just jump right into BBB. Also, the tabs may be useful next season if you do any traveling....

TF testkit is a great tool! Mine went two seasons before needing re-fills this year. Hope that helps, and I'm sure someone else will correct any mis-information.
    Esther Williams 24', sunk about 36" into the ground.
    Jacuzzi Maxiplus 190 sand
    Sta-rite/aquatools 2 speed 1HP (JWP series)

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, keep the Nature 2 canister empty. Use a pool store to test the water until your test kit arrives. Post the results here and we can help you get the water balanced. If the tablets contain copper then do not use them!

Congratulations on the new pool!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the tablets for copper.