Can't remember where to begin.

May 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Last weekend in the 80s made me open the pool. Thus the temp drops in the region...sorry everyone...my fault.

So we are open and here are the numbers. I can't remember what to fix first. I'm even wondering if I need to do anything right now with the temp of the water being where it is.

30x15 AGP vinyl liner
Sand Filter, 1.5 HP pump, solar panels
Water temp: 48, Denver, CO
TC: 0
CYA: <20 (foggy but can still see the dot)
PH: 7.7-7.8
ALK: 50
CAL: who cares, but 30
Crystal clear sparkeling water...THAT WILL STOP YOUR HEART...burrrrrrr

Thanks everyone. Glad to be here!

Shelley N said:
Last weekend in the 80s made me open the pool. Thus the temp drops in the region...sorry everyone...my fault.

So we are open and here are the numbers. I can't remember what to fix first. I'm even wondering if I need to do anything right now with the temp of the water being where it is.

30x15 AGP vinyl liner
Sand Filter, 1.5 HP pump, solar panels
Water temp: 48, Denver, CO
TC: 0
CYA: <20 (foggy but can still see the dot)
PH: 7.7-7.8
ALK: 50
CAL: who cares, but 30
Crystal clear sparkeling water...THAT WILL STOP YOUR HEART...burrrrrrr

Thanks everyone. Glad to be here!

Hi, Shelley,

48 degrees !!!!! That's what you get for living in a beatiful state like CO!!!

I'd put some Cl in there first. There's no panic 'cause your water is soooooo cold it will support little, if any, algae growth. However, it will sneak up on you quicker than you think.....that's a hot sun out there in CO and the temp changes to your pool will happen quickly, I suppose.

I'd keep the Cl around 2-4ppm. Then, on your next trip to Lowe's HD, or the pool store, buy enough CYA to get you up around the 40ppm range.

Watch the pH and be prepared to bring it down into the 7-2 - 7.4 range.

In lieu of the above, while tri-chlor pucks are one of the biggest problems in home pools, they would be perfect in your case. Dropped into the skimmer (or puck feeder) they will add Cl, CYA and lower your pH simultaneously. Keep testing and stop using them when your water get into the range you want.

Lastly, if you're comfortable with your test results, about 10 lbs of baking soda should bring your T/A up in the normal range of around 90-120.

I will not post my water temp here in NC......you would not speak to me again :lol: :lol:

Thanks so much. Is Tri-chlor: Trichloro-s-Triazinetrione? Any guess as to how many I should use? I got one at HD and plunked it in the skimmer and it looks like it's just sitting there. I've only used BBB so have no experience with this stuff but it sounds like it was just meant for me in this situation. What gets most people into trouble with them?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.