Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter connection leak fix?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter connection leak fix?

Hi,
    I have 2 small holes on the filter connector (see below) how can I fix them? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter connection leak fix?

The filter needs to be disassembled and the bulkhead fitting replaced. I don't think it can be glued.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Anthony Sullivan would say "Mighty Fix It" should take care of that.

Sorry - couldn't help myself!
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    1 HP Hayward Power Flow Matrix Pump
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Too bad Billy Mays passed. He'd have just the product for only $19.95 and he'd double the order for free!

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Too bad Billy Mays passed. He'd have just the product for only $19.95 and he'd double the order for free!

Scott
    You too huh? I'm glad I'm not the only one who's amused by these infomercials.

Every time my wife and I see one of those we shout out, "But that's not all!!!" just before the offer. Yeah, I know, we need a life.
    Peter
    21' X 52" above ground
    1 HP Hayward Power Flow Matrix Pump
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, I won't guarantee it, but I have done amazing things with two-part marine epoxy. My local hardware sells one called PC11--two little cans cost $12 or so. It will set up under water and stand up to filter pressure when cured. The only way it will work in your case is if you do a collar all the way around and smooth it out onto the thread and the filter wall. Otherwise the water pressure will break it free or at least leak.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

7. Back To Top    #7

Also,I used some stuff in a tube from lowe's in a purple package..It was a adhesive that stand's up to water..I burned up the shaft seal&plastic around..A pool guy told me about it..I cleaned out the housing&glued the seal in place...It worked for that..I know I will have to replace the housing next go around..But it was a quick fix for the year..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

If that is a Pentair/PacFab FNS like I think it is, then you just need to undo the union connection, grab the raised "ribs" on the inside of the bulkhead and tighten using those. It looks like your bulkhead may actually be damaged too, and the oring should be replaced as well. I'd order the 190141; it is a replacement bulkhead and o-ring.
    In-ground Filters Engineer
    Pentair Water Pool and Spa, Inc.
    www.pentairpool.com
    1620 Hawkins Ave
    Sanford, NC 27330

9. Back To Top    #9

well blow me down, that's exactly what I'm getting. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw water coming out of a pin hole in the bulkhead body. It looks like a solid piece of plastic.
    Plaster In Ground, with Waterfall Spa. Raypak Heater, Nautilus DE Filter DNS48. Built about 2000.