Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I simply want clear water and a life outside fighting algae

1. Back To Top    #1

I simply want clear water and a life outside fighting algae

I have been battling algae for some time now. See http://www.troublefreepool.com/is-it...ss-t25493.html for the details.

I know Intex filtering systems aren't the best, so I purchased the "Slimebag" as well as some filter socks. I figured I would get that algae out with the additional filtering and cleaning.

Things did get better. After shocking the pool to the recommended levels here on TFP, and then getting my FC to hold it's number overnight and 0 CC, I watched the algae die and settle on the bottom of the pool.

Repeated vacuuming and some swimming, along with repeated cleanings of the Slimebag, filter sock and filter itself helped a lot and the water got pretty clear. I was becoming pleased...

...until a couple of days ago. Slowly, I saw the water begin to get that greenish tint again. I kept the FC right where it needed to be and watched for a rise in CC but never saw it. I kept cleaning filters, Slimebag, etc.

To no avail. The water is looking pretty green again. It's not so much cloudy as "tinted green". I can see the bottom and do not see algae on it like I did before.

So I am confused. My PH, TA, CYA and FC are where they should be. I am filtering algae down to 1 micron thru the Slimebag and filtering in two other places too and washing them often.

Someone recommended on my other thread to look for places algae could be hiding, like the steps. I did this, but there a few places for algae to hid with the Intex and the stairs are only in when the kids swim.

How can this be and does anyone have any suggestions? Do I shock again when I already have FC holding and 0 CC? If so, how do I know when to stop if I already have the numbers I should have?

I would have to quit my job to keep ahead of this challenge!
    Pool Size/Type: 12' x 24' x 52" Intex AG Rectangular Pool
    8,400 gallons
    Filter Type: SWG combined with a 2,000 GPH pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I simply want clear water and a life outside fighting algae

Have you had your water tested for metals?

Please post your test #'s for review
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have done an overnight loss test, and your FC is holding, then as Joyce suspects, the green can be from iron or copper in the water. You can have the pool store test for it, or try some sequesterant. HTH makes a relatively inexpensive one sold at Walmart.... make sure it's phosphonic acid based. You can add that and see if the green clears up.

But confirm you have done an overnight loss test first...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

My numbers this morning are:

FC 3.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 100 (As long as I have had this pool, the TA has always been a bit high)
    CYA 80
    CH 90
    8,400 gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, that would help explain things.

Since finding this site (except for CYA) I have been avoiding any kind of pool stores and their products.

Are you suggesting I avoid doing a test and just try the sequesterant?

How do you know how much to put it and what effect, if any, will it have on my other numbers?

Also, I "acheived" the overnight hold test about a week ago after shocking for a few days. It seemed to take forever to come down from the high FC of 30 for shocking back to the normal 3-5 range after the shock. I did not have to run my generator for days...I did keep filtering though, pretty much 24/7.

Thanks!!
    8,400 gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

It will likely lower your FC some, perhaps the PH. The dosing instructions are on the bottle.

(I avoid pool stores unless I HAVE to, but that's just me . You could stop there first and ask them to test for metals first to confirm it.)

But back to my original question, have you done an overnight FC loss test, with the SWG OFF, to confirm your FC is holding overnight?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by slawton

Also, I "acheived" the overnight hold test about a week ago after shocking for a few days. It seemed to take forever to come down from the high FC of 30 for shocking back to the normal 3-5 range after the shock. I did not have to run my generator for days...I did keep filtering though, pretty much 24/7.
    Is this not what you mean?

Yes, the SWG was off when I did this.
    8,400 gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

How does copper or iron get into your water?

My water was clear the entire summer until recently, so I assume it must get in there somehow...

Rain perhaps?
    8,400 gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

You should be keeping a fc of 4-6 with a cya of 80 and swg not 3-5
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

Not according to this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...mmended_levels

I have a vinyl pool.

Although, this is the lowest reading I have had for some time. I would have to say the average I keep is around 4-5.

And for the past several weeks after the shock, I hardly had to run the generator. The FC had to come down from 30 and with my CYA at 80 that took quite awhile.
    8,400 gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

Not according to this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...mmended_levels

I have a vinyl pool.

Although, this is the lowest reading I have had for some time. I would have to say the average I keep is around 4-5.

And for the past several weeks after the shock, I hardly had to run the generator. The FC had to come down from 30 and with my CYA at 80 that took quite awhile.

But then I found this too: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ya_chart_shock

There seems to be a problem here on TFP or I'm missing something!

And this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_generator has always been my "God" and it says 3-5 for my CYA level.

Any moderators out there that can clear up this one?
    8,400 gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chl ... art_shock/

And the pool calculator both recommend 4-6
    I know that for me that 1 ppm made a large difference in my battle with algae. Not saying that is what is your problem. Just better to help prevent it.
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator

13. Back To Top    #13

True.

Like I said, this was on the low side for me and a morning reading. I am running the SWG right now, which will bring it up into my more normal range of 4-5.
    8,400 gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

Maybe this will help:

chlorine-cya-chart-t2346.html

Eversince I had mustard algae, I have been targeted my FC at 6 with CYA at 40. I would rather be safe than have to shock again.
    IG pebbletec pool: size of pool: 27,000 gal; filter: cartridge - Hayward Superstar Clear; pump size: 1.5 HP; TF 100 Test kit - got it on 7-29-10; The Pool Cleaner-4-wheel suction model; Pool calculator: http://www.poolcalculator.com/; bleach calc: http://troublefreepool.com/files/BleachCalc262.exe

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Do I shock again when I already have FC holding and 0 CC? If so, how do I know when to stop if I already have the numbers I should have?
    You have visible algae.....you need to shock.

Do not worry over 3-5ppm or 4-6ppm.......that's not where the problem is.

Chlorine kills algae. If you have algae, you should bring your pool to shock level and hold it there until....
    1. Your pool water is sparkling
    2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
    3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Do not let the chlorine go below shock value until you can satisfy those three criteria. It may take longer than you like, but the problem is inadequate chlorine in your pool will let the algae reestablish itself. At some point, your FC became inadequate and algae got a foothold. Shock the pool according to the article in Pool School and the pool will clear.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by slawton
    How does copper or iron get into your water?

My water was clear the entire summer until recently, so I assume it must get in there somehow...

Rain perhaps?
    If your SWG has the ionizer on it then you would be getting the copper from there. Another hidden source of copper are some algaecides and chlorine tablets. Check the labels of any products you use to make sure you are not adding any chemicals you do not intend to add to your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

And watch that grass fertilizer. Don't let it get into the pool. Often contains iron and many other metals like copper.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

18. Back To Top    #18

I took my water to our local (and only) pool store guy today for testing.

He tells me he can't/doesn't even test for metals! He tests my water and finds nothing really out of whack.

I begin to explain to him about this site, how people here manage their pools, etc. and he just laughed it off...

He said the ONLY way I could have a metals issue is if I put well water into the pool, which I did not.

He didn't even think of suggesting the SWG ionizer and I didn't see this post until after I got home or I would have told him!

Can metals get destroyed from shocking? I've been shocking for a few days and at first, I saw a lot of greenish dust sitting on the pool floor. I assumed it was algae. I brushed it all off and the pool became cloudy. Since I have yet to see clear water, FC hold overnight and less than .5 CC, I have continued to shock. No longer do I see dead algae on the bottom, but the pool remains cloudy still this morning and I dropped from FC-30 (shock level) to 25.5. Shocked it again.

The reason I ask about the metals as continued shocking has not brought to the floor any more algae so I am beginning to wonder if it could be metals.

Can I add the metals sequesterant while shocking or will that royally mess things up?
    8,400 gallons