pump replacement

Aug 20, 2010
Need to replace the pump.

Problem is that the distance between the pump basket where the inflow side screws into the basket is very short. Too short to cut and reconnect with a coupler – there isn’t enough distance/length to fully engage the coupler after it’s cut. It is only 2 ¼ inches from the outside of the T water line connector to the side of the basket

So it looks like if I can:
• somehow unscrew the pump unit from the screwed in coupler at the basket by turning the entire pump counterclockwise and then screwing on the new pump ( don’t know if I even have clearance to do that.
• cut the 3 leads coming up from the ground and then re-coupling them after the new pump is positioned.
• The third alternative I see is if there is a way to break free the bond/glue at the screw-in coupler at the basket from the water line pipe coming to the basket itself. I am hesitant to do this because if something snaps at the T splitter I will have to replace all the valves since they too were installed very close with little to no room to re-couple. Not sure if it would simply break free or start to twist everything.

Attachments

• pump-a-.jpg
    pump-a-.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 99
  • pump-B.jpg
    pump-B.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Pump-C.jpg
    Pump-C.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 98
Option 4, pipe extender fitting. One end glues to inside of PVC other end is standard PVC size. Only down side is you lose a small amount of inside diameter. Take a picture there might be more options for you

option 1.
those 3 valves off the font of the motor are basically unions which means they can be unscrewed and then you can just spin the whole assembly off the front of the motor and into the new one.

option 2 cut the pipe just past the fitting off the front of the motor, it can be put back together with a fernco coupling (rubber coupling)

option 3, you can use a pipe extender fitting if you cut the pipe just past the fitting

Just for education purposes. Is there a reason the valves were oriented with unions on the end opposite to the pump? If you were doing this from scratch wouldn't it be better to turn the valves around so after you loosen them all you would have to unscrew would be the T and the coupler? Again if one was doing this from start what is the best way to plumb this setup?

I'm not a plumber, so take this with a grain of salt and this is just my opinion...I hear you and agree with you, but I'm thinking that was done on such a way so that the valves do not sit out in the elements over the winter :scratch: Personally I'm not a fan of the combo valve/union but they work.

Ok, I think I understand what your saying. As it is right now you can undo the valves at the union and take the pump and valve assembly inside for winter. Not a bad plan. The OP can remove the whole assembly and the pump and then remove it from the pump and install in the new pump at the work bench instead of on the ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.