Draining Rain Water

I've read somewhere that some AG pool owners drill a hole in their skimmer just above the ideal water level. So, when the water rises, it simply runs out the hole.

I have drained nearly 4 inches of extra water in 2 days. It seems like a simple fix but maybe I'm not seeing any potential problems.

What is everyone's opinion of this?

Bama, that is right on target with what I was thinking. I don't have a waste but I was thinking of adding a fitting and pipe where it can run off without pooling.

Do you think 1" would do or should it be larger? Also, do you think that I might need a Tee off of the fitting turned up and down. Down to drain and up for a vent so it can get air in heavy down pours. I could cap the top and drill a couple of small holes in the cap on the side for a vent.

I don't want to butcher my pool but this seems like a good fix.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks!

Also have the 1" hole, but with a 30 foot round pool it still takes huge rain to overflow over the wall, I think mine will blow the skimmer cover right off before that happens since I've found it on the ground several times and I've never seen water go over the wall....and if it did...do I care?...nahh.
i like to keep as much water in my pool as possible living in the country - free water is hard to come by.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.