Hi my name is Angie & this year is my first year as a pool owner. I immediately found this site upon first putting up the pool and its been so helpful. Kudos to all of you! :party: We recently went on vacation and came back to a dark green pool & from the information on this site I just about got it whooped :mrgreen:

Only question I have is how much shock and how often when its back to normal? Its a 24ft round above ground pool about 4ft deep, which according to your calculations, thats about 13500 gallons! I read somewhere on here to shock once a week but cannot find that again, so if I am correct then how much per week?

Thanks so much!
Angie aka Gatorgirl :cool:

Welcome! I'm new here myself but I can answer one of your questions - you did NOT read on here to shock once per week. That is pool store logic and it's easy to forget where you heard something. Here the mantra is shock is a process not a product and you only shock when necessary. If you have a good test kit and stay on top of things, you shouldn't have to shock at all.

Not figuring right for vacations is the one time I worry about having to shock.

Welcome to TFP Angie.

Once you have passed the OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test), as long as you keep the FC above the minimum per the Chlorine/CYA chart you never HAVE to shock.

How do you normally chlorinate your pool and do you have a good test kit?
If you chlorinate using tabs I'd suggest switching to liquid chlorine.
If you don't have a good test kit you won't really know when you're done shocking. I suggest you get one soon.

I agree with Sportsman, the only way you read weekly shocking here was in a post saying it was completely uncalled for. You only shock when your testing tells you it' needed.

Yep! You were correct, Sportsman. I did read that somewhere else. I am glad I asked now. I am currently using bleach & borax right now and pool is looking awesome. I need to get some muriatic acid though because my PH is starting to creep up. Does anyone know where I can find that? I bought some baking soda in case my PH needed to be raised but so far it's been unnecessary. The only other thing I added to my pool that wasn't on here was Shock & Swim and that was only once when I first added water to the pool.

I will later invest in a better test kit, but at this time I have one that tests Cl, Br & pH. My pool is looking great even after the vacation "green" I came home to. Thanks for all the advice. Ya'll have been great!

gatorgirl013 said:
We recently went on vacation and came back to a dark green pool & from the information on this site I just about got it whooped :mrgreen:
Wait a minute...are you telling me that you cleared a green pool simply by reading and applying the info on this board? Amazing... :eek:

But I have to tell you, you could have really padded your posts count with a 15 page long drama pleading for help with a green pool that just won't clear even though you have followed every direction to the tee! :wink: :mrgreen:

Oh, and welcome to the board! :party: