Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New here!

1. Back To Top    #1

New here!

Hi my name is Angie & this year is my first year as a pool owner. I immediately found this site upon first putting up the pool and its been so helpful. Kudos to all of you! We recently went on vacation and came back to a dark green pool & from the information on this site I just about got it whooped

Only question I have is how much shock and how often when its back to normal? Its a 24ft round above ground pool about 4ft deep, which according to your calculations, thats about 13500 gallons! I read somewhere on here to shock once a week but cannot find that again, so if I am correct then how much per week?

Thanks so much!
    Angie aka Gatorgirl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New here!

Welcome to the board!

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome! I'm new here myself but I can answer one of your questions - you did NOT read on here to shock once per week. That is pool store logic and it's easy to forget where you heard something. Here the mantra is shock is a process not a product and you only shock when necessary. If you have a good test kit and stay on top of things, you shouldn't have to shock at all.

Not figuring right for vacations is the one time I worry about having to shock.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP Angie.

Once you have passed the OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test), as long as you keep the FC above the minimum per the Chlorine/CYA chart you never HAVE to shock.

How do you normally chlorinate your pool and do you have a good test kit?
    If you chlorinate using tabs I'd suggest switching to liquid chlorine.
    If you don't have a good test kit you won't really know when you're done shocking. I suggest you get one soon.

I agree with Sportsman, the only way you read weekly shocking here was in a post saying it was completely uncalled for. You only shock when your testing tells you it' needed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep! You were correct, Sportsman. I did read that somewhere else. I am glad I asked now. I am currently using bleach & borax right now and pool is looking awesome. I need to get some muriatic acid though because my PH is starting to creep up. Does anyone know where I can find that? I bought some baking soda in case my PH needed to be raised but so far it's been unnecessary. The only other thing I added to my pool that wasn't on here was Shock & Swim and that was only once when I first added water to the pool.

I will later invest in a better test kit, but at this time I have one that tests Cl, Br & pH. My pool is looking great even after the vacation "green" I came home to. Thanks for all the advice. Ya'll have been great!

6. Back To Top    #6

Most of your big hardware chains (HD and Lowes) carry muriatic acid. I found it around the paint aisle I think.
    20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Maytronics Dolphin pool cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

You really need to invest in a FAS-DPD Test Kit, it really will help you be part of your pool water!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gatorgirl013
    We recently went on vacation and came back to a dark green pool & from the information on this site I just about got it whooped
    Wait a minute...are you telling me that you cleared a green pool simply by reading and applying the info on this board? Amazing...

But I have to tell you, you could have really padded your posts count with a 15 page long drama pleading for help with a green pool that just won't clear even though you have followed every direction to the tee!

Oh, and welcome to the board!
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

Muriatic acid, $3.99 for a quart at Stine's
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~