Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crack in Skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Crack in Skimmer

I have a crack in my skimmer base .. about 2" from the inlet hole. It doesn't appear that it is leaking from this area .. Yet, but is there something (epoxy, etc) I can fill it in with after I drain the skimmer for the winter.?
    18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crack in Skimmer

Billy Maze's Mighty Putty would work.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

sand place down,need to rough up the surface.Use a 2 part epoxy&let it cure..I've done this several time's..Once with a old clorinator that cracked&also with a pump strainer basket..no problem's..Got a couple more year's of use....
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Any particular 2 part epoxy to recommend?
    18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If I'm not mistaken, the "mighty putty" is an epoxy and will work fine. Bondo from HD will work as well but might be a little soupy.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

We have used Plasti Dip inside and out at the crack area on our older skimmer. Painted it on and let it cure (24 hrs.). We also have repaired our vinyl solar panel leaks with this product.
    28' round AG with dish out bottom 20,000 gal, doughboy pool (1997) with non-doughboy replacement vinyl liner 2014. Hayward de filter. Andover MN

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    If I'm not mistaken, the "mighty putty" is an epoxy and will work fine. Bondo from HD will work as well but might be a little soupy.
    Yes, the putty is a lot easier to use. It's 2 part epoxy, but it is much easier to apply.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by richmgreen
    Any particular 2 part epoxy to recommend?
    any of 2 part liquid kit's that you mix together..I believe the last I bought was at walmart..I don't think the puddy will work..You want something liquid that you can get down in the crack!!!
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kplaster
    I don't think the puddy will work..You want something liquid that you can get down in the crack!!!
    Actually, the epoxy putty works like a charm on cracks in plastic. It doesnt have to get down in the crack to work. You just put the putty over the crack and smooth it down over the edges. Liquid will work too just fine, but there is nothng wrong with the putty either. I fixed a crack in my light niche with it and it was/is fine.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Quote Originally Posted by kplaster
    I don't think the puddy will work..You want something liquid that you can get down in the crack!!!
    Actually, the epoxy putty works like a charm on cracks in plastic. It doesnt have to get down in the crack to work. You just put the putty over the crack and smooth it down over the edges. Liquid will work too just fine, but there is nothng wrong with the putty either. I fixed a crack in my light niche with it and it was/is fine.
    I will have to try that the next time!!