Pool Patio just put in... hairline crack already!?

Jun 27, 2010
The patio was poured Tuesday. Today, I noticed a hairline crack and it's not within a seam!

It's subtle... and tapers off and not running the whole way down the 5 foot area... it's perhaps halfway down already.

Is this normal????

Hi... it starts at the pool edge/coping and is bigger there... but then travels outward, fading halfway down patio (about 2.5 to 3 feet out). It's small... right now. I live in Massachusetts... so yup, we will get a big winter/freeze!

I called the patio builder and waiting to hear back. They asked that I sprinkle the patio each day to help cure properly. I have been doing that each day. But today, noticed the crack. Not sure if I should keep that crack dry? That'll be impossible as it's near the edge of pool.

I have read to get concrete sealer, or epoxy to hair line cracks.. to prevent from getting worse. This looks like it'll get worse... it was not there yesterday! Posting pics now...

As long as it not feezing it's ok for it to get wet...but your PB should be fixing that asap...that's not cool and will get worse with freeze thaw cycles. You should not have to epoxy a fresh poured deck

It looks like it could be at a "joint" in the pool wall; is there anything down there that could be exerting pressure on the decking? It could also be a compaction issue; how did they address that prior to pouring the deck (was the soil disturbed and built back up or did they just dig down in native? Did they compact prior to the pour?)?

It's tough to not have a crack on a narrow (that looks to be about 36" wide) pour. Still, you should not have it already. Like dman said, I'd make a call.

bk406 said:
Concrete cracks, not much else to say, really. Not much you can do. Thats why if any concrete person tells you that it wont, is not telling the truth.

I agree, but I hate to see that used as an excuse for poor compaction/prep/installation, if that is the case. I hear that a lot, and it is the truth, but some guys tend to use that as a blanket excuse to do shoddy work.

Cracks, to a pretty large extent, can be controlled in expansion joints by a good installer. Prep plays a big part as well. I've seen too many jobs where the ground was scuffed up a little bit, forms placed and decks poured, and then the guy says "Concrete does 2 things; it gets hard and it cracks". That's his excuse for shoddy prep/work, and it just ain't right!

Again, I'm not saying that is the case here, but if it is, :evil: :evil: :evil:

The other thing is that broom/rough finishes like that tend to crack more so than a smooth finish. The way to do a broom finish is to actually trowel it smooth, like glass, and use a troweling machine. Once it's smooth and set up, then broom it.

I hear what your saying Bruce, but sometimes even the best job going will crack like that, nothing under gods green earth to stop it either. Thats why i prefer pavers. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm a paver guy also; and use them every chance I get! Especially now that the price has come down (around here anyway) to the price of broom finished concrete.

Looks great, and no cracks! How much better could it get :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.