Trouble deciding which cartridge filter to buy

gwar9999

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
I'm still torn between the Jandy CS-250 (250 sq ft) and a Sta-rite S7M400 (400 sq ft). The Jandy is about $300 less, would be easier for me to install (existing filter location is perfect), the replacement cartridges are about 25% of the Sta-rite (and I like to swap between 2 filters during cleanings).

As for the Sta-rite it would require less frequent filter cleanings and I believe the pleats are shallower so it would likely make for faster cleanings as well (although I can't verify this entirely but they claim it in their literature).

I currently have a woefully inadequate 100 sq ft filter. So the Jandy would require 2.5x less frequent cleanings whereas the Sta-rite would require 4x less. I probably clean the current filter 30x a year-- this week alone I had to fight some algae problems and cleaned it 3x.

I don't know enough about filter internals and manufacturing qualities to sway me by brand-name alone so both seem fine to me. What other things should I consider between the 2 that might help me decide? Right now I'm leaning towards the Jandy but the larger capacity of the Sta-rite sure it appealing. If I went with the Jandy do you think I'd regret it after the next algae battle?

I'm obviously a bit biased here, but my take. . .

The Jandy is just a copy of the Sta-Rite Posi-Clear filter and Pentair Clean and Clear. If you want to compare comparable filters, you should be comparing it to those, not the System3. The System3 is a much higher end filter, designed to be a "season" filter. The square footage doesn't quite go up to that of the CS-250, but the designs are dead ringers for one another. Other filters to consider would be the StaRite System2 (PLM), which you could get a 300 sq ft version of. There's also the Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320 in the type of square footage you are looking for, and the replacement cartridges are significantly cheaper there. What I'm really saying is that you aren' giving the Sta-Rite filter a fair chance by comparing it to such a cheap Jandy product. Sure, it blows it away in terms of filtering time, but its going to be pricier b/c its a higher end product. The Clean and Clear Plus is a great product, the cartridges are easier to clean (since there are 4, so they are lighter and easier to handle). Its the product that people have copied, instead of the copy.

The pleats on the StaRite are 1.235" if you're curious.

Thanks for the feedback Brice. I did look at the Pentair's but I didn't want to hassle w/ cleaning 4 cartridges. I don't mind the weight of a single cart so that's not a concern. Basically, I'm either looking for something in the same form-factor as my existing 100 sq ft Mitra filter or a good reason to re-plumb for a larger form-factor model such as the Sta-Rite System 3. Of the small form-factor models I viewed, the Jandy had the largest filter size (250 sq ft). Considering how often I spend cleaning the 100 sq ft filter I really, really want one that I don't have to change too often. I spent a considerable amount of time narrowing it down to those 2 models but I would be open to others. The features I'm looking for are: less frequent cleanings, easy filter case opening (ie. toolless), cost of filter and cartridges.

The Pentair C&C series (as opposed the C&C+ series) requires no tools, uses a single filter element, aftermarket filters are available (Unicel C-9419 for the C&C 200), and has a small footprint on the pad. The question would be if its big enough (200 sq ft is the max available) to suit your frequency of maintenance needs.

I had compared Pentair's C&C and Hayward small footprint models and the Jandy's 250 sq ft trumps them both. So I think if I go w/ the small footprint model then the Jandy CS-250 is the largest capacity filter available. If someone knows of a larger one I'd certainly considering it since I'm no fan of the filter cleaning process, so the less frequent the better. I just don't know if it's worth the extra plumbing and cost to jump from the 250 sq ft small footprint model to a 300-500 sq ft larger footprint models. As for those, according to this chart:

http://www.poolcenter.com/filter_poolstor_cartridge.htm

the Pentair C&C+ and the Hayward SwimClear require tools to swap the filter cartridge(s) so I haven't considered them, only the Sta-rite when it comes to the larger footprint models.

In terms of comparing the larger models, why does the requirement of needing a tool matter that much? In the case of both of those filters, its just a ratchet thats required and you loosen one nut. The System3 has 7 clamps that you have to tighten properly in sequence. Obviously, my company would benefit from you buying EITHER of these, but I would recommend the C&C+ over the System3 every day of the week.

I think you are selling short the System2 filter. Its not a much larger footprint than the C&C or Jandy, available in even LARGER square footage (300 square foot) and requires no tools (locking ring design, just like the C&C or Jandy). Its a bit larger in diameter, but not a lot. Would the raised port on the Jandy not require you to replumb anyways?

Also, I would challenege you to take a look at the Jandy to see if its actually USEFUL square footage. Its roughly the same size as a C&C200, it just has more pleats crammed in a smaller space. You quickly see diminishing returns on this filter area in terms of dirt holding capacity (which is what really matters to you). Without specifically trashing one model of filter, we compared some LARGE square footage models, and found that one of our 500 square foot filters held more dirt than a copmetitors 720 square foot filter due to this same phenomenon. I've not personally compared the two models in question here, but Jandy tends to just copy a proven design (either a Pentair, Starite, or Hayward) and try to "one up" it with a small tweak here or there. Often times those tweaks aren't very thoroughly thought through.

Thanks Brice for the additional comments. The Starite System 2 seems a bit larger than the current model that we have. The area it is installed in is pretty cramped so I can't put it a filter with a wider diameter in that location (which is the ideal spot). If I decide to install a larger model then I'd have to install it past the heater which might be suboptimal since the pump would route water past the heater to the filter than it would return to the heater. If I'm installing one of the smaller filters then the plumbing would be similar to what we have but I'm sure I'd have to make a few adjustments regardless of which filter I bought (I can't imagine any filter lining up in the precise in/out locations of the existing plumbing).

I'm not sure how I could compare metrics regarding useful sq footage vs. the manufacturer's claims. I guess that's true about everything nowadays (battery life of cellphones and laptops come to mind). Ideally, I want a filter that holds the most dirt since that should require the least frequent cartridge cleanings, regardless of the specification.

30 times a year is a lot of cartridge cleaning. I can see why you want to go with a larger filter, for sure.

Have you considered going with a DE filter? You certainly wouldn't have to be opening the filter very much. I'm not all that familiar with sand filter sizes but from what I do know, the ones I've seen do have a pretty big footprint. If I didn't have so much microscopic dust, enormous amounts year round, I certainly would be using a sand filter for ease of use. BTW... virtually every one around these parts uses DE filters because of the properties and amounts of our "cementous" dust. With our high winds and the amounts of it even the "best" auto safety covers don't keep it out of pools. Much of it goes through sand and cartridge filters.

If discharge of filter media, with DE, is of concern you can always go with alternative media such as cellulose or Aqua Pearl.

When I was using cellulose in my Pentair Quad 80 (very big filter) I did have issues getting the media and our "cementous" dust to backwash out so I had to open the filter to hose off the four big cartridges. That took a lot of water hosing them off, very frequently, probably as much water each two hose cleanings as a backwashing. Now that I'm using Aqua Pearl, similar to DE but without the health issues of breathing silica while loading he filter and all that will eventually go airborne when discharged into environment, the most of the media and dirt are clearing off of the cartridges using a surprisingly small amount of water compared to a few cartridge hose off cleanings.

gg=alice

I did look at the Sta-Rite System 2 and it would probably fit in the preferred location, I just wonder why the replacement 300 sq ft cartridges are so much more expensive than the Pentair 200 sq ft. I suppose there aren't any generic carts for the Sta-Rite?

System2 is a patented "dual-flow" cartridge, meaning there are pleats both on the inside and outside of the cartridge. It allows them to fit a LOT of square footage in a very small can. The cartridge construction is much more complicated than the conventional design, which is why there are no generics (as well as the fact that its patented, for now).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This has led me to a question. A friend just bought a house and they have two smaller cartridge filters hooked in parallel. I.E. the pump output splits into two, one goes to each filter, then y's back into one after the exit from each filter. Is there disadvantage or advantage to this design? Instead of say a 400 Sq. Ft. filter could one run 2 200 Sq. Ft. filters to the same effect?

I wondered because his single filter cases (one cartridge per filter) appears a much better design than say a triple or quad manifold design as the larger filters are. Super easy to get too, one nut on top of each filter, take top off, cartridge comes out. No fear of breaking manifold, etc. Plus you just trade width for depth (I.E. you can line them up, but they are not big around). Yes the cost for two is more. Seems like there is some breaking point (around 200 or 250 maybe) where they move from a single element to multiple elements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.