Sparking pool pump

kirk78

Aug 18, 2010
I helped my step-father replace a bad pump today, when we went into the pool store to purchase a new motor, the gentlemen said that he had a complete 6mo old pentair that he could sell us for the same price as just the motor. Two different techs walked in and I ask there opinions and was assured the pentair was the way to go. Well the pump was set-up for 115v, so one of the techs changed it to 220. We plugged the pump in at the store and it turned right on.

Well, we go it home, hooked up the ground and two hot wires and when we turned on the breaker, sparks were coming from the motor. We immediately flipped off the breaker (before it flipped). We've also hooked up a voltage meeter and both wires are putting out the correct volts.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? My step-dad is doing this for his landlord and he's so afraid he ruined the pump. It's been dark for 2 hours and he still won't come inside, he said he won't be able to sleep tonight!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.