Easiest way to maintain pool

Aug 6, 2010
What would you people consider the easiest way to maintain your pool least amount of time spent testing and adding chemicals. Not the cheapest way but most convenient way that takes least amount of time.

mike3554 said:
What would you people consider the easiest way to maintain your pool least amount of time spent testing and adding chemicals. Not the cheapest way but most convenient way that takes least amount of time.
SWCG, automatic cleaner, and automatic cover.

jparr said:
mike3554 said:
SWCG, automatic cleaner, and automatic cover.
I agree, but daily testing is still required (recommended). It sounds like OP is looking for a hands off approach, which is not advocated at TFP.

We haven't been pool owners for very long, but with BBB, no problems and it's easy!

I do all my own tests, no time wasted running to the pool store with water samples. Run tests for FC, add some liquid bleach when required, vacuum some leaves once and a while and we have crystal clear water. Most of the tests I don't think you have to run that often and they are all pretty quick and easy. I have heard so many people, (not on this site!) say what a lot of work pool maintenece is, but so far, ours has been a breeze. We have not had to spend much either. A couple bottles of CYA and then just jugs of bleach. Doesn't get better than easy AND cheap!

The folks with more experience with different methods will have more to say, everyone is very helpful here, good luck!

I have a smallish AG (10,000 gallons) pool and do virtually nothing but add half a bag of shock approx each week and acid from time to time. I drain about 20% of the water for winter closing...(maybe less but about 4 - 6 inches below the return.) I use a few pucks to bring up my CYA when I reopen becuase it's usually low.

I still have the same 7 lb container of dry acid from last year so that's $10.00 in acid costs for two years and minimal chlorine costs. I vacuum about once a week...less if we don't have a bunch of rain.

My TA is kind of high but I'm at peace with that.

My pH barely changes so things seem to be pretty stable.

I do however test chlorine and pH every day.

Cheap and easy...just like me :-D

Depends on where you are located. I don't spend 10 minutes a week on my pool (I have been known to test my water 5 times in a day though!), and I am extremely picky about my water. I dump a jug or 2 of chlorine in my Liquidator a week, skim a couple times a week, and brush on the weekend. By far the majority of my time is spent on brushing, and that takes all of maybe 5 minutes.

Covers, in my opinion, do not let you enjoy the look of your pool (and we all know we are out of them way more than we are in them :cry: ), and don't let them "breath". SWCG work great in areas with low CH, which I am not blessed to have from the tap (but I can fix that :cool: ). A little chlorine added (or made) daily, check the pH (5 drops-tough!) and the chlorine (not too tough either!) a couple times a week (or daily, if you're me :roll: ) and add some Muriatic acid to bring down (or soda ash to bring up, as the case may be), brush as necessary and enjoy! Doesn't get much easier than that!

mike3554 said:
That's easy! BBB...or TFP...whatever you want to call it, it is splattered all over the pages on this board! Or maybe I don't understand the question?

I spend very little time on my pool, and everything I know about pool maintenance was gleaned from this website. All the information you need to have a truly trouble free pool is here, but you have to understand & apply it. Lucky thing is that there are countless people here who will explain it in minute detail when you have questions...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A PH/Acid system consists of a controller which continually monitors the PH during circulation, and a Acid pump/tank combination which activates to drip muriatic acid into the return line to keep the PH relatively constant. I researched most of the systems out there before choosing this one which has worked well for me. http://www.chemauto.com/products/cat1000.htm

Just remember, there is no "set it and forget it'. SWCG are great, but depending on your size, could ramp up your electric bill and you'll be adjusting your PH more frequently. Good luck with your decision!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.