Automatic water leveler

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
Hi,

I live in the south and get a lot of rain in the summer. I travel a lot so need some sort of water leveler system that can also remove water from the pool when it gets too high. I have seen the levelers that add water to the pool but is there one that can also remove excess water from the pool?

Thanks for any help.

In our gunite pool (Houston), we had an "overflow drain" put in. It is basically acts the same as the drain in your bath-tub when the water gets too high. When it rains too much (or too quickly), the water (and unfortunately all the chemicals) go out the drain. The pipes are tied into the same lines as the deck drains that lead to the street.

The pool builder installed it into the side of the pool where the waterline tile is located (just below the coping).

I lived in Brazil for 12 years. EVERY swimming pool is built with an overflow line--usually 1" PVC. In a country where rain comes down in multiple inches per hour on a regular basis, it is as ubiquitous as a filter.

heather.wallace said:
In our gunite pool (Houston), we had an "overflow drain" put in. It is basically acts the same as the drain in your bath-tub when the water gets too high. When it rains too much (or too quickly), the water (and unfortunately all the chemicals) go out the drain. The pipes are tied into the same lines as the deck drains that lead to the street.

The pool builder installed it into the side of the pool where the waterline tile is located (just below the coping).
What would stop you running it into a storage tank to be re-used?

I would think that the difficulty there would be how does water flow in to the storage tank and then how to get the water back out. You would basically need to bury the tank where the top of it is level with the drain. Then to get it back out you would need a pump to pull from the tank

We also have a drain in the tile line and an automatic leveler. But we have no real chemical loss with a SWG. And if it rains more than 3" I keep a closer eye on the salt level for a while and may have to add some.
My problem is the drain itself has no where to go but in the yard and the brackish water is not grass friendly. I tried a french well at the drain but my "soil" is such clay that it just becomes a hole filled with rocks and water and then overflows anyway. Either the pool activity fills it or the sprinkler system.

Anybody got any ideas on what to do with this mud spot in my yard?

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated! so I guess I need one of those overflow drains installed. will get my pool guy to install one. great idea. will put my mind at ease when I go away in the summer. thanks again. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.