Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy pool after a hard rain

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy pool after a hard rain

I have a new pool that is built on a yard with a big slope. When it rains hard I get a lot of wash that comes fom the hill and into/across the pool. Yesterday we got over two inches of rain in a short period of time and now the pool is so cloudy I can hardly see the first step. What is the best way to go about trying to clear the pool? I have a SWG and my salt level dropped several hundred ppm from the level it was before the rain.

Thanks for any advice.
    20K Gal Blue Plaster IG with rock waterfall, Beach Entry, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic controller and SWG,
    Sta-Rite System 3 S7M400 cartridge filter, 1-1/2 HP pump, Energy Therm Heat Pump, Nexxus Savi LED lighting

500 Gal Dynasty Miramax Fiberglass Cinema Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cloudy pool after a hatf tain

Filtering 24/7, vacuuming and high levels of chlorine will eventually clear the pool.

That process will soon get very tiresome until you find a way to redirect that runoff water.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cloudy pool after a hard rain

We have already put in a grate to try to catch what we can but the slope comes directly to the concrete decking around the pool. Not bad except when we have a torrential downpour.

What are the thoughts on superchlorination with the SWG versus other forms of chlorine or shock?
    20K Gal Blue Plaster IG with rock waterfall, Beach Entry, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic controller and SWG,
    Sta-Rite System 3 S7M400 cartridge filter, 1-1/2 HP pump, Energy Therm Heat Pump, Nexxus Savi LED lighting

4. Back To Top    #4

I once had a similar problem of run off going where I didn't want it. Had to build a small retaining wall to divert the run off to another place.
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

5. Back To Top    #5

There are two retaining walls behing the pool but they are both up-slope keeping the hill from washing into the pool.