liner discoloring

1) Cal-Hypo or dichlor powdered chlorine not pre-diluted well in water before addition can leave powder sitting on the liner.

2) Old liner

3) Cheap Tabs in floater not moving creates concentrated chlorine settling to the bottom and tabs are disolving quickly.

4) Cheap liner.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:

PoolGuyNJ said:
1) Cal-Hypo or dichlor powdered chlorine not pre-diluted well in water before addition can leave powder sitting on the liner.
the only chlorine that gets put into the pool is from the shock pack once a week.

PoolGuyNJ said:
2) Old liner
unless the pool was sitting on the shelf for over a year + then no. purchased pool in april and set up in may

PoolGuyNJ said:
3) Cheap Tabs in floater not moving creates concentrated chlorine settling to the bottom and tabs are disolving quickly.
do not use chlorine products (see #1)

PoolGuyNJ said:
4) Cheap liner.
could not tell you here but its a 25 gauge liner (boulder bay print liner) purchased from rec warehouse in hampton roads VA

What's in the shock pack that you add once a week (and why are you doing that anyway :)). Are you pre-diluting it, or tossing it in? Active ingredients? You said you do not use "chlorine products" .... then what's in the shock pack?

i get the ingredients tomorrow when its light out. haha...

but what I'm more concerned with is the way its discoloring. my liner has two seams in the bottom portion and only the center of the bottom is discoloring and its like camouflage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No wonder your liner is discoloring.

If all you use is the cal hypo or MPS once a week, your not maintaining a healthy or sanitary pool. You have to have sanitizer every day! Whether it's with a SWCG or by adding chlorine, bromine or bacquacil.

You need to post a full set of test results.

You also need to tell us how you normally chlorinate or sanitize your pool.

IMO...you should stop using the ionizer...unless you like battling smetal stains and eventually green hair:scratch: Plain old bleach does just fine...and the fact that your test results are in the green, isn't telling us much...toi assist in diagnosing the discoloration. What are the "in the Green" results?

My comment about no pictures related to the actual pool liner...not the bags of shock...sorry about that :oops:

pbhound,

Please read Pool School in the upper right. Lets not try taking short cuts or reinventing the wheel.

The discoloring is most likely from how you have been adding the cal-hypo powder.

Liner prints are inked on. It's getting bleached out, like due to not diluting the powder granules. They sink and dissolve when sitting on the print and leaves a very localized and high level concentration of chlorine, breaking down the ink.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.