Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering PH without lowering TA

1. Back To Top    #1
    Copperas Cove, Texas

Lowering PH without lowering TA

Hi everyone,

Question for all the pool gurus

I will be adding a fountain to my Intex pool here shortly and I know from reading the forum that if you run any type of water features the PH will rise. Can you lower the PH without lowering the TA? I have read that you use acid to lower your TA and then aerate the pool to bring the PH back up. If I don't want to lower my TA just my PH how would someone do that? I ask this question because my kids are going to want the fountain on alot and I want to keep my PH consistant as posible. I know I should post my pool numbers and I will as soon as my TFtestkit-100 gets here tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark
    Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sacramento, CA

Re: Lowering PH without lowering TA

The short answer is no, you can't lower pH without lowering TA.

The full answer is a little more complicated. You actually want to keep TA lower because pH will rise faster with higher TA.

Of course there are issues with maintaining low TA:
    • less pH buffering which can lead to wild pH swings[/*:m:gb5v77dr]
    • lower CSI would could be corrosive to plaster (depending on CH, etc).[/*:m:gb5v77dr]

Since you don't have plaster the CSI issue isn't a concern.

You could keep TA around 50-60 and to help with buffering the pH you could add 30-50ppm borates.

Also, maintaining pH around 7.8 rather than trying to keep it lower will make this easier to manage.

Your rising pH will exasperated by your SWCG.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock ('s a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator