Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vac plate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vac plate?

I'm not sure where it goes or how to attach it. Logic would put it into the skimmer, where there is some suction, but I need some advice on how to attach it--if indeed, that's where it goes--and how to keep it from a) floating and b) sucking air.

I don't have a hose for it, either, but figured I'd cobble together the corrugated hose that was provided for the plumbing, and which I took off in favor of rigid pvc.

Thanks, everybody!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vac plate?

The suction from the pump keeps it in place. You'll be surprised how hard it is to remove once the hose is hooked up and drawing water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by LauleaHere&There
    I'm not sure where it goes or how to attach it. Logic would put it into the skimmer, where there is some suction, but I need some advice on how to attach it--if indeed, that's where it goes--and how to keep it from a) floating and b) sucking air.

I don't have a hose for it, either, but figured I'd cobble together the corrugated hose that was provided for the plumbing, and which I took off in favor of rigid pvc.
    t
    Thanks, everybody!
    Hello LauleaHere&There,

Glad you posted this picture. I've been trying to find a vac plate like this, but nowhere does it say what size diam and depth they are. Or if it is threaded inside or not. Could you measure the inside diam. on yours? And tell me if it threaded or not? Also where did you purchase it from?

Thanks in advance.
    AGP, POPUP, 3800GAL. SWG 2000 GPH pump. Over the wall skimmer. SE TX. NEWBIE

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi, BuneDockMama--The center hole and the cone are threaded. The the disc edge is not threaded. The diameter is 6 1/4" on the outside, inside dia. is 6". I just set it, cone up, into the skimmer, right on top of the basket.

Unfortunately, I don't know where to tell you to find one of this dimension. It came with the pool kit with the skimmer. I'll look around, though and see if I can find a model number or something.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

5. Back To Top    #5

I bought this one. Some raised nubs where the skimmer basket handle fits interfered, so I ended up wandering the plumbing aisles until I found some pieces to fit and just plug straight into the suction port of the skimmer.

I'd spend the money for a proper vacuum hose - what you have may collapse or sink, or suck air through the joints. Who needs the frustration?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, Richard. I should and probably will. It's just that I haven't found it available on our little island yet, and nobody ships without collecting more money for shipping than the hose is worth. Even if they say shipping is free, it's never free all the way to me. Next time I'm in Honolulu, I'll pick one up.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you for the info.
    AGP, POPUP, 3800GAL. SWG 2000 GPH pump. Over the wall skimmer. SE TX. NEWBIE

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Do people actually use these? I maintain a number of pools and I have never used one, nor have I met anyone who does. But they ARE in some of the pool rooms. Our skimmers have 1 1/4" holes at the bottom for suction, into which we directly insert our 1 1/4" hose ends.

What is the reason/benefit of the plates?
    * Responsible for the operation of 21 semi-private pools and spas at 11 locations, varying from 1,900L to 20,000L spas and from 13,000L to 200,000L pools.

9. Back To Top    #9

The plate keeps you from having to remove the skimmer basket. Leaving the skimmer basket in place catches the big stuff before it gets to the pump basket. I know on my pool the skimmer basket is much easier to clean than the pump basket is and it just gives another level before anything gets to the impeller.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit