water level in closed plaster in-ground pool

Jul 14, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I've read through the posts in the closing topic, but none seems to address my concern. What should the water level be in a closed, plaster in-ground pool? The plaster manufacturer says that plaster should be submerged in water all of the time; but I know that the water level cannot be at the normal, summer mid-tile level during the winter because ice forming at that level will damage the tile. In the past I have drained the pool below the returns to blow out the lines. Then I plugged them and raised the water level to within 18 inches of my mesh, Meco winter safety cover as the manufacturer recommends. But that leaves a bunch of plaster exposed to the air. We have new Pebble Fina plaster this year, so I don't want to damage it over the winter.

The very best way to do things depends on several details of your pool that I don't know. The typical approach is to drain the water down so it is below the tile line and below the skimmer, and if you have returns near the surface below them as well. You want to drain enough so that it will still be below the tile line/skimmer/returns after getting some fall rains.

Leaving plaster exposed is most dangerous during the heat of summer. It doesn't normally pose any risks in the winter/spring/fall.

Thanks for your response. Not sure which details about my pool you wish to know. It is a 25K gal gunite pool located in Reno, Nevada, where we do get snow and freezing temperatures. The returns are 15-20 inches below the summer water surface or 22-27 inches below the Meyco cover in winter, so they are submerged once I raise the water level to within 18 inches of the Meyco cover. We don't get enough rain or snow to bring the water level up to the tile line or skimmer during the winter.
My main concern was keeping the plaster exposed throughout the 6 months that the pool is closed, but from what you say I need not be concerned. I just need to insure that I close the pool after the warm temperatures have abated and open it before they start. Right?

Here is your answer... you need to keep the water below the tile line. If you have a mesh cover that means you need to get yourself an automatic pool cover pump, and keep it under your pool cover, usually on the top step, or 2nd step down. That will prevent the waterlevel from raising above the tile line if you get rain beofre it drops below freezing. Some gunite guys ive spoken to in the past tell me they dont drop the water level below the tile and never have a problem.
Personally, im not about to take that chance with a customers pool and look like a real jerk come spring. you want to keep as much of the plaster as possible underwater without being on the tile.

Here is a good pump... ive never shopped at this website before, just using it as an example. That is a d*m good price though...

http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/ruswpocopuh5.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.